Five most commonly used effects ......

Guess I could be a smartass and say 'Whatever it takes', but that doesn't get very specific. ;) In reality, that's true though. I for one don't have a specific formula that is used for every project or song. I listen to what I have to work with, and make my determination from there. If something needs compression, I add compression...if a really well timed delay is needed, I'll add that. Could some dessing fix that 'spitchy' vocal sound? Sure. That kick sounds a bit too muddy, maybe I'll add a pinch of EQ around 2-5K, and pull a little 250hz out of it.

There are far too many variables to make list of what needs to be done in a mix in general terms. The only advice I would give is...Use as little extra processing as you can possibly get away with. Get the sources commited to your tracks right the first time, and you'll have less to deal with when mixing. Anyone who says 'We'll fix it in the mix' is lying or just plain ignorant. :)

Last edited:
delay seems to be something i love, in a way that you probably woudln't hear me using it, but if it was taken away, it would be missed.

i dont think i could class compression as an effect. to me, it's more of a controller. a compression effect to me, is when i make the compression noticable.

Back