First Post, Intro, Critique my mix?

MrNemo

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but it seems like your community has a lot of good information. I wanted to see if someone could critique my production and mixes. I have worked for studios on and off for years, usually doing production and editing or as a session musician, but I got sick of working for other people and now do production out of my house. Mixing and mastering have always been my weak points, compared to my strengths- turing a lame ass idea into a grand production. I come from a background of jazz, hip hop, electronic, and R&B stuff, so indie rock is about as foreign to me as the controls on an SSL console.

Basically, I am doing a comeback album for an artist, popular during the Nirv@na days, on Svb P0p. This is an indie album so understand that the requirements are a bit lax and a bit of edge is required for "authenticity," but I would love to get some feedback, as I've forced my friends to listen to it already, and they couldn't tell the difference between "the indie rock sound" and a Prince CD. I am really seeking ANY opinions you have, on production, quality, mixing ideas, ANYTHING! I thought I did pretty well on this track, and when I let the management hear it, they said, "Sounds like it needs another 30 hours of mixing." WTF? What the hell am I supposed to do? I am a producer, I guess I just don't know how to mix. Christ. This stuff is going to be pressed within weeks, so basically I have a week to finish it all. What do I need to work on?

http://www.mephistotech.com/tower/Track01.wma

Anyway, this is one of 10 tracks, probably my favorite tune.

If you need to know my equipment, I use Nuendo 3, Reason, a Focusright preamp, assorted Neumanns, a digital mixer adat optical'ed into my PC, and that's about it. Thank you so much for your opinions, I really don't know where else to turn!

s-h-@-n-e / / B-@-r-b-e-r

MrNemo said:
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but it seems like your community has a lot of good information. I wanted to see if someone could critique my production and mixes. I have worked for studios on and off for years, usually doing production and editing or as a session musician, but I got sick of working for other people and now do production out of my house. Mixing and mastering have always been my weak points, compared to my strengths- turing a lame ass idea into a grand production. I come from a background of jazz, hip hop, electronic, and R&B stuff, so indie rock is about as foreign to me as the controls on an SSL console.

Basically, I am doing a comeback album for an artist, popular during the Nirv@na days, on Svb P0p. This is an indie album so understand that the requirements are a bit lax and a bit of edge is required for "authenticity," but I would love to get some feedback, as I've forced my friends to listen to it already, and they couldn't tell the difference between "the indie rock sound" and a Prince CD. I am really seeking ANY opinions you have, on production, quality, mixing ideas, ANYTHING! I thought I did pretty well on this track, and when I let the management hear it, they said, "Sounds like it needs another 30 hours of mixing." WTF? What the hell am I supposed to do? I am a producer, I guess I just don't know how to mix. Christ. This stuff is going to be pressed within weeks, so basically I have a week to finish it all. What do I need to work on?

http://www.mephistotech.com/tower/Track01.wma

Anyway, this is one of 10 tracks, probably my favorite tune.

If you need to know my equipment, I use Nuendo 3, Reason, a Focusright preamp, assorted Neumanns, a digital mixer adat optical'ed into my PC, and that's about it. Thank you so much for your opinions, I really don't know where else to turn!

s-h-@-n-e / / B-@-r-b-e-r

Hey welcome to the board man... The tune is nice but you might get more of a response that your looking for in the mp3clinic... thats where all this type of stuff usually goes. As far as I can tell from what I heard on the shitty computer speakers I listened on is that your management is full of shit. Seems like it needs a good mastering and thats about it.

Good Luck

Hey Nemo. Glad to have ya onboard.. heh... get it...!

anywhoos, Good tune. Picking up where big willz left off. The mix is pretty tight. There are a few things that I'd like to comment on though. The lead doubled vox just arent sitting well IMHO. I don't really know what to tell you to do because I've never mixed lead Vox like this for any kind of a similar song. Also, I think that the compression on the vox is a little too much in certain parts of the song. It makes the lead vox stick out too much when it happens. You may want to ride that threshhold of the singer had bad mic control. The other thing I may be hearing is that the guitar that's panned up the middle that you hear on the choruses may be just a smidge too dull sounding. This could just be the wma compresssion, es. at 128k.

I also agree that the song needs mastering. I think it'd really polish it up. I don't really hear any sonic "holes" with the exception of the center-panned guitar in the chorus.

Cheers and GL!

Back