Favorite Software Mastering Chain

Samplitude 8 master eq>Waves RenComp>Samplitude Room Sim>PSP Vintage Warmer>Waves L2>Samp8 Dither

I really like RenComp and VintageWarmer, gonna get a UAD card for the comp and eq though.

Nathan

PapillonIrl said:
I really like RenComp and VintageWarmer, gonna get a UAD card for the comp and eq though.
I still can't even imagine having a favorite software chain... I do have a favorite hardware chain, but it's sort of a "zen" thing...

But for sure, Nathan, get that UAD setup. I just installed the new DAW at MM and I'm now officially an EX-Waves user. They're off to another studio. I never liked the sound of the L-series software in the first place (especially when actually applying a gain change - Yeech). So, when UAD came out with the (excellent sounding) Precision Limiter, my Waves stuff instantly became totally useless to me. I waited for a while to make sure I didn't need them anymore (old projects out and released) before installing the new DAW and I'm not looking back.

Of course, "IMHO - YMMV - Etc."

Cloneboy Studio said:
Just wondering what everyone's favorite software mastering chain is. Lately I've been using:

Waves MaxxBass > Waves Renaissance EQ 6 > Waves C4 Compressor > Waves L2 Ultramaximizer

if you have the broadband eq and linear multiband, why would you waste your time on the renaissance eq and the c4?

Cloneboy Studio said:
I haven't used UA's precision limiter yet. Is it that great? Details man, gimme some details! :)

It's not what is sounds like - It's what it DOESN'T sound like. Very transparent, excellent metering, sensible controls.

And as much as I hate to say it (just because I hate to DO it), it handles "smashing the living crap" out of stuff better than any plug (and most hardware) I've used.

fenix said:
if you have the broadband eq and linear multiband, why would you waste your time on the renaissance eq and the c4?

Ren Eq gives a more vintage flavor when using the shelf filters with high Q, C4 is just my default. I'll experiment with the linear multiband and broadband eq though.

In general I always prefer character over transparency. I'm strange that way, but I always look for character in all my music gear from analog synths (proud owner of a 20+ year old and limited Prophet 5 synthesizer) to software plugins.

I strive for that vintage-modern vibe always.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Just wondering what everyone's favorite software mastering chain is. Lately I've been using:

Waves MaxxBass > Waves Renaissance EQ 6 > Waves C4 Compressor > Waves L2 Ultramaximizer

thats your mastering chain :eek:

I have found when I do my own mastering Less is best the more crap I put on the 2 bus the smaller and more 2d the shit sounds.

Lately I've just been using Timeworks Mastering Compressor (don't sleep sh!ts all over the L2) and maybe the pultec pro, but even that I've layed off.

I don't wanna sound like Blue Bear but get ya sh!t right in the mix and leave all the intricate 2bus shit to a ME unless you have the room and speakers and gear to do it yourself

Cloneboy Studio said:
In general I always prefer character over transparency.

IMO you'll never find character in a plugin which is why i always try to go for transparency if i'm using plugs.

"I don't wanna sound like Blue Bear but get ya sh!t right in the mix and leave all the intricate 2bus shit to a ME unless you have the room and speakers and gear to do it yourself"

But make sure they're a mastering engineer, and not a mechanical engineer, or millenium edition.

fenix said:
IMO you'll never find character in a plugin which is why i always try to go for transparency if i'm using plugs.

It's not a perfect world, but the more transparent stuff always bored me. Plus the only stuff I master is stuff I record that the client doesn't want to take to a mastering engineer because they are too cheap.

I'm the laziest guy here... :eek:

I just tweak the presets in Ozone... and move on to another song.... But then again my stuff sounds like it...

The UAD stuff sounds interesting though... i'd been meaning to look into it more.

I'm a firm believer in the punk rock mentality of doing what it takes to get the job done and to use what you have to the best of its ability. That being said, sometimes I do some pretty weird things in mastering if the job requires it.

My favorite chain is using the least amount of processing possible. If the mix is good enough where only 1 EQ and limiter/compressor is required, I'm at my happiest.

Lately, I've gone with a minimilist approach, usually just running into Vintage Warmer, and maybe an EQ if Required (Usually Paris EQ, or TLAudio). Save the big crazy chains for track inserts. Works for me.

Atterion said:
Lately, I've gone with a minimilist approach, usually just running into Vintage Warmer, and maybe an EQ if Required (Usually Paris EQ, or TLAudio). Save the big crazy chains for track inserts. Works for me.

You're getting good results with the VW and the Paris EQ only? Wow. I can't find a general use for either of those plugins. The Paris EQ is killer for a boost around 12-16khz if you need it. I really don't like how it handles low end though. The VW has a great low end saturation/boost though, so maybe that's how you're comfortable with that combo.

Back