Explain This

Inserts typicaly send the signal present at the trimpot (First knob at the top of the chanel)out to a device of your choice...compressor, eq effects etc.

NOTE: The whole signal will be routed through the insert jack, and the returning signal must also come back through it , or you will not have anything!

Inserts use a (Stereo) Tip, ring, sleeve 1/4"
jack.

The inserts differ from the effects/aux sends in this way.... You can send a partial signal out these, while still having the original sound present at the faders, EQ and pan etc.

Ask more specific questions, and tell us what you are trying to do....

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Don't forget too that on most consoles the insert point in post eq also. So any eq you do will be present at the insert point.

Ed

Agreed RE. Pre and Post insert's serve in different ways.

Example. I have found much better luck compressing kick drums when I use a post eq insert. This gives you the ability to first eq out unwanted freq's, then compress what is left. You can make them sound BIG this way. Other time though, compressing before any eq seems to work better. I always do vocals this way because I prefer to get the room sound in there a bit, and of course comression will bring up the level of background "noise" if done before eq.

If you are using noise gates, you HAVE TO USE THEM BEFORE EQ AND COMPRESSION ARE APPLIED!!! Doing otherwise makes it that much harder to set the threshold of the gate since the threshold works off of signal strength.

On my setup, I use a patch bay instead of inserts for pre-eq processing. If I need the insert processing post eq, I use the subgroup insert points to do so. This allow maximum flexibility. A complete patchbay integration is worth it's weight in gold for recording and mixing.

Ed

You're telling me. I just finished doing a balance rear-solder 432 point TT patchbay for my studio not too long ago. Not only that, I soldered on all my connectors myself. I had 100s of connectors and about 2k' of cable layed out in my living room for months. Talk about overwhelming. I got it done though.

RE, I am in the middle of the very thing now, but with fewer patch points.

What a pain!

I know it will be worth it in the end.

Greetings from the ignorant.

I'm using my mixer as a preamp for multi-track computer recording, basically. The only adjustment I make is the trim for each channel - that's what sets the level. I do everything else in the software.

Am I right in thinking that the other settings (High, Low, Pre, Post, Pan) are only necessary if:

* you're recording to tape

* or if you're using outboard effects?

If it's really that simple, I will be a very happy person.

Back