Event TR5 vs. KRK RP5 -opinions?

Wannaplay

I'm looking into new monitors and would appreciate opinions on these 2 for my small home studio. Thanks in advance.

oof. tough one. i have a KRK Rokit 5 pair myself and they are great. very very flat. but i've heard good stuff on the events too. your only choice is to go to your nearest guitar center and listen to a CD on both of them. (avoid contact with any representative other than to ask them to hook up the monitors).

Thanks ace, I'll give that a try. I know Event has been around awhile and has a good rep. Just don't know about the KRK's.

ace516 said:
oof. tough one. i have a KRK Rokit 5 pair myself and they are great. very very flat. but i've heard good stuff on the events too. your only choice is to go to your nearest guitar center and listen to a CD on both of them. (avoid contact with any representative other than to ask them to hook up the monitors).

Lol, hey i used to work there, but alas its true, they work on commission and alot of them dont know shit, at least around here

and remember, they only need to clear 11%gp (gross profit) so tell eme you'll pay 20% less than theyre marked at, they wont sell em to you for that (if they do, go back to that eprson, lol) but as long as its not a manager they will give you a discount NEVER PAY FULL PRICE!

woa woa woa, hold up just a minute.

can you explain that whole

"they only need to clear 11%gp (gross profit) so tell eme you'll pay 20% less than theyre marked at, they wont sell em to you for that"

to me? :confused:

he is saying that if the cost to them of the monitors you want is around lets say 200 bucks...they only need to clear 11% that's 22 bucks...so they can go all the way down to 222 and still be alright with company standards....i dont know about mark ups in monitors but lets say they were marked at 350...so on this example they are making 150 and if you push the right person they could go down to the 222 cuz they only need to clear that 11%

I bought $12,000 of stuff for under $8,000 at Guitar Center. Never, never pay the marked price. They even threw in a Stedman and some free DVD's. (ha, ha, ha)

Well, I had to bring this thread to life.

First off, I was at Sam Ash the other day and was going to buy a pair of KRK RP5 monitors but they only carried the Event TR5s. When he offered them as a true and honest replacement I asked to use his internet to search the forums here. :)

He liked seeing the parts in this thread about the commssion etc. I ended up getting a discount for that reason alone.

ANYWAYS...I listened to the Event TR5s and was not impressed. They sounded very bassy to me and low end. The thing is, I have never listened to the KRK RP5s, therefore cant compare the Events to them. I only was going to buy them because of the positive feedback on these forums for good monitors at $300 or less a pair.

So does anyone else have experience of hearing/using both and have an opinion on which is better for the price?

Thanks in advance ~

hi all! i just picked up the event tr5 and i have to say i am very satisfied with the sound quality. i have experience with both the krk rokit 5 and the event tr5 and they are both very good monitors. only thing that is different is that the krk rokit 5 are a bit more bassy than the event tr5 and the event tr5 are more flat.

5 years

wow, talk about resurrecting a thread :)

I ended up getting KRK RP8's way back then and they have been great, however recently I hear a little crackle every once in a while in my right one and haven't used them all that much. Hopefully it's an easy fix whenever I decide to fix it hehe.

Congrats on your new monitors!

Back