Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EQing

RAMI Guest
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    He may be related to James Brown.
    Aren't we all?

RAMI Guest
    ....I have no frickin' idea what that meant...........

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    Goo bat joba dacha hu. I know exactly what you meant RAMI.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Her ryja naahemsi srkijakirt mouf touwlye wroup del wooyer
    weoe tjif owefiofe...oqiwdffre?

Goo bat joba dacha hu.
    ne jadda relj nemmri!! Haha! truuio cnover!

Thanks
    to answer the original question - before all of the languages came into play, yes there are times things will occupy the same frequency range. In fact that happens all the time. When it gets to be a problem is when the sound that should be dominate is muddy and hidden. So, you may have to cut in the less dominate sound to make the other stand out (i.e. cut guitar to make the vocals stand out). This can be a big problem for a lot of people because they don't want to sacrifice their precious tracks for the good of the mix (I am one of those people too).

The better option is to practice A LOT unitil you can record vox and guitars (or whatever you're shooting for) with the range you want. My acoustic tracks don't generally step on my vocals anymore, but that took a lot of practice to get right.

So pretty much what the first person to answer said (isn't that usually the case)!

Thanks
    He may be related to James Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    ....I have no frickin' idea what that meant...........
    I saw a documentary a couple of years ago on James Brown and I was glad it had subtitles ! You couldn't understand anything he said ! Sometimes, I closed my eyes and listened. It was as though he came from Azabijahan......He certainly sang alot clearer than he spoke !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme1234 View Post
    Ive always had trouble when it comes to EQ.

Can someone tell me if there will ever or should ever be a point in a mix when 2 sounds occupy the same frequency range? or should they all always be serperated in a mix?

I hope I made this question understandable enough. Thanks in advance
    There usually is a time when two or more instruments occupy the same range but just because they do doesn't mean you have an EQ problem.

Alot of mud in mixes is from the arrangement of the song and/or the musicians wanting to be playing every note, chord and measure.

When you have two instruments occupying the same frequency in phase the louder one will usually be the one you hear. You can use panning to a degree for separation or you can change the arrangement.
    When you have two instruments occupying the same frequency out of phase at the same volume they cancel each other out and you hear nothing.

There's lots of variables to consider and EQing isn't always the answer.

Another situation is where you have muddy vocals. Without getting into a long explanation about it, the mud could be from something as simple as using passive crossovers in your speaker system. Passsive crossovers can have phase issues between speakers causing mud right at the frequency range where vocals usually sit. Sure, EQ will help but a better solution is to use active crossovers.

Get yourself the book Mastering Audio, the art and the science by Bob Katz. It comes with a frequency chart covering all the instruments and showing you the ranges they reside in. Plus a huge amount of awesome info that will help with your Eq'ing, listening skills and understanding of what's happening in all that processing going on in productions.
    Busy recording...
    http://nysteacherjobs.com/

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    I saw a documentary a couple of years ago on James Brown and I was glad it had subtitles ! You couldn't understand anything he said ! Sometimes, I closed my eyes and listened. It was as though he came from Azabijahan......He certainly sang alot clearer than he spoke !
    I didn't mean that I had no idea what HE meant. I was saying that I had no idea what I meant when I said "aren't we all?"

I have almost every James Brown recording, and my drumming has probably been influenced by him more than any other artist.

Thanks
    I thought that was what you meant but I used your quote to link into the bit about James' hard to understand speech. I still find it fascinating.

Thanks
    Does anyone use Hi/Low knobs with just a shelf freqency any more or am I all alone?

Thread Information