EQ plugins that Bleed.

Radvis

I have a question which i am a bit confused about. I use usually FL studios Parametrics EQ2 plugin, and when i take out certain frequencies i can still hear them, especially if there was a saturation plugin before the eq plugin on the chain. I understand that it cuts only max -12db down(specifically Parametrics EQ2). But these bleeded frequencies, wouldn't they affect your mix by muddying it up or something?

Thank you in advance.

Saturation adds harmonics so if you already have problem frequencies you probably would be better off eq first and then saturation, or even eq on instrument, send to an aux with an additional eq before/with saturation and blend back in

If you have to cut a frequency by 12dB you need to look at what's wrong with your tracking!

While I would generally agree with you that it IS a large cut...it's also not always necessarily indicative of a tracking issue.
What I mean is...sometimes when you start mixing, the individual tracks start to reveal some EQ issues from their "combined" state, that they didn't show during tracking individually.
Also...the kind of bandwidth/Q used during a cut can make a 12dB cut pretty normal...like if when it's a very narrow Q, that amount of cut is still pretty surgical and not necessarily changing that overall tonal vibe.
I've cut 20dB with very narrow Q, on tracks that individually sounded just fine.

For the OP...I do think that Gtoboy is identifying the "bleed" correctly. The saturation plugin created a lot of harmonic content that is outside of the EQ cut areas...so there is the perception that the frequencies are still somewhat there.

If you are worried about muddiness, why the saturation plugin? That's just adding a layer of digital noise on top of your signal, plus whatever frequencies it might boost or nerf. If you must have the saturation plugin and don't like how it affects your EQ plugin, why not put it after the EQ instead of before?

If you turn down one frequency by 12db but then don't let any frequency get any louder than that anyway because you're clipping it all off...

Even reasonable amounts of compression can "undo" some of the EQ that you try to do before it. EQ before a nonlinear stage is about shaping how that nonlinearity responds - what frequencies trigger it more strongly and with actual distortion which frequencies will generate more harmonics. A lot of times you also need an EQ after to actually shape what's coming out of that comp/saturation.

Back