eq-ing question

hi im a newbie starting to learn mixing and eqing, and got some advice from someone and wanted to check if this is a good idea or not or what neone else is doing. he said create 3 groups tracks( kik n bass, instruments, highs)
organize all my tracks in project into these three groups and besically put a eq on the group tracks of the instuments and highs groups to cut off low frequencies.
He said roll off 125hz on instruments group and in all fx sends, use steepest cut for this, and in highs group roll off 3k

Wouldnt doing this make it no longer necessary to do ne rolling off of low frequencies when eq-ing individual tracks?
Should i do this?
thnks

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but you're bound to individually eq each track anyways, so why put them into a group to eq more? I never group tracks or use aux busses or anything. I'm not even sure I know how to do that with Cubase. I always just treat each individual track with whatever it needs.

hth,

eq question

I agree with Chili, eq each track individually rather than mix them together first. That way you can control the sound of each instrument better and you can change each instrument later if it turns out that your first sound-impression wasn't what you wanted. And you can apply eq etc. to the whole mix, if necessary, after you've obtained the sound you like from each track. I'm using Cakewalk Sonar 5 so can eq each separate track as well as the whole piece. I don't know what you're using to record with, so don't know what capabilities you have.

It doesn't make much sense to EQ tracks in groups as a general practice.

One of the things you're often trying to accomplish with EQ is to allow each track to come through in the mix - e.g. you might be cutting one track at 3k and boosting another slightly at the same level, so the second one doesn't get covered up (just an example).

Even in the pre-digital days, in setups that were fairly limited in terms of effects, the typical mixer had an EQ section for every track.

The idea of using applying any sort of "formula" EQ to a recording, without regard to what it sounds like before EQing it, also seems wrongheaded to me. But maybe that's just me.

The idea of using applying any sort of "formula" EQ to a recording, without regard to what it sounds like before EQing it, also seems wrongheaded to me. But maybe that's just me.

...and 99.9% of other people.

bethanyb321, Ill be quite frank, this person sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. That's the dark side of taking advice my friend. For as many people out there that will give you good help, there is plenty of bad help. Trust your instincts a little more. Seems to me that I can sense the doubt you had in his advice in your original post.

Instruments, drums and vocalists are so varied and require so much individual TLC that this is pretty unlikely to work. I'm not really sure why you would want to immediately roll off the low frequencies of a whole group of instruments, very unusual. Even more so rolling off above 3k. There is so much information that you're gonna loose if you do that. Cutting out everything above 3K on acoustic guitars or pianos in particular is going to ruin all that lovely sparkly top end.

if it's necessary on one or two instruments then fine, do it on those individually, but not on an 'instruments group' that just doesn't make sense to me from a musical, technical or engineering point of view.

woh im glad i asked n ill prob be asking more questionz on the forum soon since i still have much to learn on this journey, ill deff be eq individual tracks and not groups now,thnks soo much for the advice! :)

I Eq some of my busses, but it's basicly highpass filtering, guitars, vocals and keys, I treat each track individually if needed.

Back