EQ for bluegrass banjo

I like close-miking the resonator ring with a Beta 57 and then cutting about 6db at 250 hz during mixing. I have used an AKG 535EB with good results as well.

A friend of mine couldnt get the right sound from his banjo when he first got it. He ended paying a lot to have emgs put in it and have the neck taken off so he could get it to sound right.
That's why you should never by banjos over the internet. Always go to your nearest Banjo Center to get a feel for what you'd like.

Last edited:
Usually none, if you use the right mic.
Agreed. Now, what is the right mic?

I have a book called "Masters of the 5-String Banjo" by Tony Trishka and Pete Wernick where they collect data from a lot of bluegrass banjo heroes. One of the questions asked to everyone is, "What mic do you prefer?" Here are some models that pop up:
Shure SM57
EV RE20
RCA Ribbon
AKG C414 EB
Shure SM 81
Neumann U87
This book was written before there were a whole lot of decent sounding inexpensive condensers and ribbons like we have available now.

You will find some great pro advice if you Google "Mix magazine recording bluegrass instruments". The forum would not let me put in the link, since I have done more lurking than posting.

As a banjo player, myself, I like a mic that has either a flat response or a not too harsh sounding bump. If I want a rounder tone, SM7b or my Apex 205 Ribbon. If I want to really capture more of the subtleties of the instrument, C414 B ULS.

Start by pointing the mic either toward the area where the neck meets the head or at about 5 O'clock and in toward the center of the head where the hand doesn't cover it while playing. I usually have one to three feet between the capsule and the instrument. I never use compression. If there is any eq at all, it would need to be very subtle subtraction in the upper mids or highs...just to make it sit in the mix. If your player has a good instrument, set up well, and he knows how to get a good sound out of it, you shouldn't need any.

If none of this helps, think of the banjo as a snare drum with guitar strings.

Good luck!

The rest of you...your tired old banjo jokes are very funny.

The few times I've tight miked a banjo I used a 57. After all, it's a drum with strings.:D
Seriously, it sounded pretty good.

Back