Thread: EQ Advice on Bass Drum?

Thanks

Question EQ Advice on Bass Drum?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just wanted some EQ advice. I'm recording on a Fostex VF-16 just for reference. I recorded the kick drum with a Shure Beta 52. It sounds good, but it's a bit bassy. How can I EQ it to get a nice slap that will cut through the mix, but still have enough low end
    to sound like a kick with some balls? I recorded snare with a Shure SM-57. It sounds good, but is a bit bassy too. I want that snare to be crisp, clear and popping away in the mix. Any EQ advice here? I used two AKG C-1000s as left & right overheads. Cymbals sound good, but toms sound just a bit weak. Any EQ advice on giving these toms some balls and making them sound good? Also, on each of my EQ controls there is a setting that switches between low pass filtering, hi-shelving and low-shelving and I can set the dial for the shelving from .1 to 20. What does this do? Thanks for any responses.

Thanks

Thanks
    Sounds like you need to EQ your stuff too much too dramatically to get the sound you might want.

You might have a mic placement problem, mic selection problem, or pre-amp setting problems (if you're using a board, you might want to try eq'ing the channel strip roll off some lows on the BD/Snare).

Try using an SM-57 on the snare.

Get a BD Mic for the bassdrum.

Thanks
    My typical eq for kicks:

Little boost at around 60-80 Hz, BIG cut at around 300 Hz (gets rid of the boxy, cheap sound), Decent boost at around 4-7 KHz for some click.

Thread Information