The end of recall sheets

Damonica

Hey hey,

A friend passed me a link to a nifty app, called chainr (chainr.com), that can be of great help when it comes to remembering setups, instrument placement, settings or whatever. It's basically a tool to help you remember multiple actions in a chain. A chain can consist of text, audio recordings, pictures, videos etc etc. You can view the chain like a multimedia slide. A modern version of the good old recall sheet if you ask me.

Another nice option is that you can share your chain or sheet with others. So if your friend/college wants to use that super-fat-sound you made, you share your Chain with him/her :)

What do you guys think?

I think pen(cil) and paper is a far superior medium for this sort of thing.

G.

Yup. Also, in most DAW's, if you're an in-the-box kind of fella, somewhere in there is a project notepad. You can type in changes, setups, notes, etc, and when you save the project, the notepad saves with it. Each song or project has it's own notepad. I use them all the time.

I think pen(cil) and paper is a far superior medium for this sort of thing.

G.

jeezus not everybody has the space or money to use/pay for a pen(cil) and paper....what is it with you analogue or hardware guys...there loads of stuff out there that the budget conscious new musician can use without resorting to 1960s technology :rolleyes:

there's the charcoal and wall VST from Antares

Antares Charcoal & Wall VST - Free

Voxengo's brilliant Spray can application

Voxengo Spray Can - zZounds.com

and this freebie won KVRs plugin competition last year

Write it down you lazy bastards!

Me I use an iPad..it only cost $500 and I can write on it indefinitely...well until the battery goes..dammit wheres that pen(cil) and paper??

:)

I use Braille. Suck on that one! :) I can read my notes in the dark for those 3 AM mixing sessions, and save lots of power keeping the lights and monitor switched off... not to mention the mouse stuck away in a drawer somewhere. :)

I use Braille. Suck on that one! :) I can read my notes in the dark for those 3 AM mixing sessions, and save lots of power keeping the lights and monitor switched off... not to mention the mouse stuck away in a drawer somewhere. :)

I use Broille...hang on Ill feel that again.....

I have a team of naked asian midgets that memorize everything I do.

Pro Tip: if you upgrade the asian midgets to asian giants they can store more memory

I agree...pencil and paper. I keep a couple of notepads on the console, and about a half-dozen #2 pencils and a large eraser. I even have one of those classic manual wall-mounted pencil sharpeners in the studio! :D

I don't record anything without taking notes...sometimes I even draw small pictures with the notes if I want to depict a specific mic position on something. :)
It's saved me many times....especially when I want to try a similar setup 3 months later on a new song...and I'm thinking:
Now how did I track the rhythm guitars on that other song I did...?...I'm sure a similar tone could work on this new song.

Plus...just the act of writing it down, of taking notes...
...seems to burn it into your brain (kcearl, you're exempt...I think your brain burned out awhile ago! :laughings: ;)

:D

Yes...I've done it too. I even take pics of the console and rack/gear settings when I've done a mix, and also write some of it down.

whatevah mingah

In Ableton Live you can tag any part of a track and leave a text note blah blah blah blah

Back