Effect Send/return

Fostex812

I'm using a fostex 812 mixer. I'm wondering how to use effects on it. How do I attach a extern effects processor to it? Via the "aux" or via the "effect send/return" and wich "in" goes to wich "out"???? I would be great if someone can answer this question.

The basic hook-up is aux sends of your Fostex to in's of the effex processor and the out's of same to the aux returns of your Fostex.

Thanx for your reply, but what are the effect send and returns for than. I got like 3 effect send and returns and only one aux in and out.

Fostex812 said:
Thanx for your reply, but what are the effect send and returns for than. I got like 3 effect send and returns and only one aux in and out.

Generally fx sends are aux sends, just named differently for your convenience. I don't know your desk but I'm guessing your aux send is pre-fade so you would use this for foldback to the musician. The fx sends are probably post fade, use these to go to the input of your fx unit and then the output of your fx unit goes to the fx return on your desk. If you have spare channels, it is better to use them than the returns as you will often want to have more control over the sound.

Hope this helps
Brenton

....Or,if you want, you can place your processor to a single trak using the "INSERT" channel and using a dedicated
TRS Y-cord. TRS meaning Tip,Recieve and Send!
This cord consists simply of 2,1/4" jacks connected to a
stereo(TRS) 1/4" jack. The TRS jack is plugged into the "INSERT" of the channel and the 1/4" jacks are connected
to the in and out of the efx processor.
Good Luck
Mr.Q

Is the INSERT channel actually designated as an "Insert" input or is an insert channel the same as the input where you connect what you're recording (i.e., guitar cable etc)? Thanks.

That is correct Brent,but I usually use that terminology
to indicate a flow of a signal, hence the recieve and send using a channel insert Afl or PfL.

Hey england, on most boards the inserts are used for sending and recieving effect proc'd signals from the processor.

On my recording deck it has two effect send/receive inputs and ouputs and XLR and 1/4 inputs for each channel but no inputs specifically designated as "INSERT"s.

Hey Mr. Q. I have a TASCAM 424MkIII. I know, I know, ..yes, I'm still in analog-land. Its a 4 channel multitracker with 1/4 jacks and XLR inputs for each channel, additional 5th and 6th channels that I'm still not sure what they're for, and two send/return effects inputs/outputs.

england, my basic settings for the ultra-bass are +9db for
limiting and my bass level @ 2.5 db. I use these settings
as they bring out that real "booooomy" bottom I want on some
of my songs.Most of my songs are geared to bass and bottom
(is it because I'm a bass player?! :))and what I like 'bout
the ultra-bass is that it really extends the sub-harmonics
of the bass even @ 32db. But I don't use it all the time,just when 1 of my songs need that lower harmonics.
As far as the 424MK11,not sure,but I believe this board has no inserts(these are different than your "line-ins").Therefore,efx processors s/b connected via your auxes.
Peace
Mr.Q

Back