Easiest mixing software for a non tech-savvy person

Jay Vance

I have a Tascam DP24 and I am finding it is a long and difficult process to mix and master songs on it.
I would rather export it to the computer and do some mixing and add some effects there then be able to export it to my ipod or phone.

I've heard of Reaper and Pro Tools but they seem pretty complicated for an old-school guy like me. Is there a simple, cheap alternative that's easier to learn?

Your experience with the Tascam is not a bad indication of the difficulties involved in mixing generally.

No matter what software you use, there is a fairly steep learning curve to climb. Some programs are easier to learn than others, but that's not necessarily an attribute of the program, but more an attribute of how you go about processing information.

For me, I find Reaper easy to use. It's also not expensive. Reaper is scale-able upwards. This means that you can start off using it straight in a basic way, but progressively add in complexities as youi become familiar with it.

I have a Tascam DP24 and I am finding it is a long and difficult process to mix and master songs on it.
I would rather export it to the computer and do some mixing and add some effects there then be able to export it to my ipod or phone.

I've heard of Reaper and Pro Tools but they seem pretty complicated for an old-school guy like me. Is there a simple, cheap alternative that's easier to learn?

None of the viable software is 'easy'. They all take a bit of time to learn.

You stated that you want to do some mixing and add effects. So there you are going into the complicated world of DAW software.

That being said, Reaper is cheap and you can find tons of forum help to do what you are looking to do. The same is available for most audio programs.

'Simple' is a term that is based upon how you find any particular program to work for you. Some Daw's are easier for some than others. You just need to try them.

A simple free wav editor like Audacity may be what you need. But you will not now until you try it.

It's worth the effort to get over the tech learning curve. Once you've got that done, you will find it so much easier to work on your music.

I personally could never get over that curve with the standalone units like the DP or, in my case, the old Roland VS-840. <ugh> Switching to computer based recording made life so much nicer. I started out with Cubase and stayed in their camp through all these years. It's a matter of comfort with the user interface now.

Just out of interest, what is it about the Tascam that makes mixing so difficult ? I find the standalone units to be the perfect halfway house between the old portastudio and the DAW.

I guess the biggest prob is not being able to add multiple effects individually to the mix. I find the insert and send effects difficult to navigate

I find that Reaper is very straightforward for basic mixing. Of course, you can always go for submixes and using Send/Receives for effects, but its not necessary. Load the files, adjust volumes, add your EQ/Compression/Reverb. Set the channel pans. Render the file.

You mentioned ProTools. If you're talking about ProTools First, be aware that its limited to 16 tracks total, and 4 track recording. If you're going for the real thing, count on shelling out $30 a month for a subscription. I don't think they really want/care about the home studio market.

I've done mixing on both my Yamaha AW1600 and my Zoom R24, but now I just dump the files into Reaper and go.

I find the insert and send effects difficult to navigate
In a nutshell:
INSERT an effect if you want to alter a signal. Such as EQ, distortion or compression.
SEND to an effect if you wish to add to the signal. Such as reverb or delay.

For reverb, you might use only one reverb effect and send all your vocal tracks to it. For each track, you adjust exactly how much goes to the reverb. If you send 20%, then 80% goes directly to the Main Outs the 20% goes through the reverb then to the Main Outs.

So with the tascam dp24 . On the track mixer screen there's an ' insert effect' box . Is it correct it toggles guitar effects only and is not part or the send effects ?

Thanks for everyone's input .I was able to sort out the effects problems and how they are applied to the tracks .thanks for clearing up the send effect parameters . Just getting used to what track your looking at with only one mix screen at a time is daunting to say the least. Was able to mix and master a song and get it to my laptop . And will be downloading Reaper soon thanks a lot ...stay safe

Just out of interest, what is it about the Tascam that makes mixing so difficult ? I find the standalone units to be the perfect halfway house between the old portastudio and the DAW.

I started out with the DP 32, the issue with adding effects etc is you can add them on mixdown but its not nearly as easy as it is with a DAW. I found myself recording the raw tracks and then exporting them out into Reaper. which was several more steps. I finally ditched the DP 32 for a interface and ending up giving it away. I moved to Cuebase and the workflow is easier with fewer steps involved.

I'm 69 years old. I use Reaper. There is a bit of a learning curve but there is lots of forum support and many, many great videos. You can download the full version and try it for as long as you need to. If you find it helpful you can buy it anytime. $60

I'm not ready to give my dp24 away yet lol . I have an Alesis midi verb lll that I will hook as a send effect. Applying that with the onboard effects should give me a little more versatility. I have some live 8 channel recording of an hour plus . I'm hoping now I can "mark set" each live track one at a time then mix and master and export to computer song file . That should allow me to divide up the live songs and use the master file as a temporary location . Then overwrite it each time

None of the viable software is 'easy'. They all take a bit of time to learn.

Dudebro, isn't there just like, a filter like on Instagram I can use and get the sound I want???

Not saying that's what the OP is asking for, but it's just the general attitude of our modern population around the globe: instant gratification. It's Veruca Salt all over again. The character, not the band. Haha. "I want it nooooooooooooooooow"

Just my two cents.

"Anything in life worth doing is going to be hard and require a lot of persistence and determination."
-Somebodysmarterthanme

"Anything in life worth doing is going to be hard and require a lot of persistence and determination."
That's true most of the time.
But let's be honest. Who wouldn't like to get there quickly at the beginning of the journey ?
The concept of 'plug & play' didn't appear in a vacuum ! :D

But let's be honest. Who wouldn't like to get there quickly at the beginning of the journey ?

Well ain't that the truth. That's also the genesis of 'are we there yet'?

However, while I daresay we would like a shorter journey, we generally realise that sometimes the shortcuts are not there.

That's true most of the time.
The concept of 'plug & play' didn't appear in a vacuum ! :D

True that...but, as someone who suffers SERIOUSLY from Wanderlust: it's about the journey, not the destination. ;-)

You guys all rule. Stay safe out there, kids!

I want the results straightaway. I don't want to spend years on a learning curve.
But the way my brain has developed, little comes easy !
So most things take time. And as a result, I find I grow to really like parts of the hard learning curve. There's a curious excitement within much of it. And a feeling of immense satisfaction when overcome.
But it's never that way at the start !

Back