Don't you just hate it when...

Phildo

I heart guitars!
...it's like this, you see. During the course of a project, I'll make many, many reference mixes and bang them down to MD so's I can check them out at various places on various systems - see how the work is progressing.

So...about eighteen months ago, I did a job for some friends. They're very XTC/grungepop/Gprky's Zygotic Mynci/Beefheart, five piece - singer/guitarist, guitarist/singer. bass, keys/violin and drums.

Anyhoo, I ended up getting a sound for them which was nicely Albini-esqu, and they were pretty happy with it, although I felt the more up-tempo tracks could have sounded a little more "oomphy".

Which leads me to my point. Sorting out my stack o'minidiscs earlier today, I found a reference mix (pre-violin, admittedly) of one of the grungy tracks which sounded utterly fucking awesome! couldn't believe I'd recorded it, and the drum sound wa the equal of any I've ever heard. What a pisser.

Don't think I'll make rough mixes anymore. Far too depressing when you find one that's better than the finished product.

Well, that's the life of a mixer:).

Sometimes you just got to make the decision: this is the final mix. And almost every time after a few months, you might say 'I should have more this or less that'. Don't go that way: true perfectionists we are we think we can always do better, but with that philosphy a mix might never end.

So quit giving yourself a hard time, be proud of your job and keep making those rough mixes! They come in really, really handy.

Yo Odlihps:

I've taken some tracks I did on a Yam MD8 and a Tascam 488, and remastered them on my Yam 2816. Amazing what can happen.

Sometimes I've spent several hours doing the same song with different settings, vocals reverbs, etc. If you get ONE winner, that's worth the effort.

I think that's the fun of doing a home studio. Learning, learning, and more learning and SUCCESS once in a while.

Happy 4th of July.

Green HOrnet:D :D :p :p :p :p :cool:

Back