Do you use headphones or monitors for mixing/mastering?

poo_noodles

I am trying to figure out which would give me the most accurate sound reproduction, headphones or monitors. I do not have a set of monitors, but I am running a practice amp of mine as my monitor and it is working out alright. When I use the headphones though, the sound is similar but different. The practice amp has a 10" speaker, I would think it was adequate for all frequencies. Any suggestions?

I think if you have to ask the question, you're a million light years away from mastering. Take time to learn mixing before you take a stab at mastering (learn to walk before you can run) And if you're using monitors, you usually get better mixing results if you use two of them (and they are not practice guitar amps!)
Good luck!

Haha, first off, let me say I am just recording some guitar riffs to give to my band. Nothing EVEN NEAR commercial or professional going on. No mixing with headphones, got it down. I'm not really interested in mastering or anything, but I am having fun learning how eq works right now. Some time I will get there, hopefully. If I do, I won't be using a practice amp for my monitors, and I would probably spend a cuople of thousand extra on recording equipment.

Yep, save some money and get some decent monitors--you won't need to spend thousands to get something more useable than your guitar speaker. I do my mixing on monitors with an occasional check on headphones.

i'd say you'd get even better results using computer speakers than using one guitar amp. everyone has computer speakers laying around somewhere, and most of them are powered too!

not gonna give you close to the sound nice quality monitors would give you, but it's a start.

I have a question though about my setup.

Right now I am running the stereo outputs of my m-audio duo out to the mono "cd input" of the amplifier. I rewired the speaker so that I have 2 computer/home theater speakers as my monitors instead of the original 10". If I am running into the cd input, is the sound amplified or equalized at all? I wouldn't think it is, because the sound should go directly to the speaker without an equalization from the preamp. I understand though that putting the signal into the "input" of the amp changes the sound. Any ideas?

??????????????????????? :confused:
Now that I got that out of the way... If you have PC speakers, why are you still using your practice amp?????????????????? Just plug the PC speakers into the outputs of the duo.

gordone said:
??????????????????????? :confused:
Now that I got that out of the way... If you have PC speakers, why are you still using your practice amp?????????????????? Just plug the PC speakers into the outputs of the duo.

Why do people always seem to make it harder than necessary? :rolleyes:

It's kind of like going to the auto parts store and asking them what you need to be able to drive your car with only 3 wheels.

I don't have pc speakers. I have home theater/audio speakers which run off a positive and a ground. I unhooked the speaker from my practice amp and I am running those AS THE speakers. I was wondering if the amp would color the sound though, I don't think it would since I did not put the output of my duo into the "input" of the amp. The speakers aren't powered, and I am providing them power through the practice amp

EVERYTHING colors the sound somewhat. Some things more than others. I have a feeling that the amp in your practice amp isn't very good quality. But if you're just doing this for fun and to get ideas down, don't worry too much. Just go and play some music! :)

poo_noodles said:
I don't have pc speakers. I have home theater/audio speakers which run off a positive and a ground. I unhooked the speaker from my practice amp and I am running those AS THE speakers. I was wondering if the amp would color the sound though, I don't think it would since I did not put the output of my duo into the "input" of the amp. The speakers aren't powered, and I am providing them power through the practice amp

when I mix, I always check everything in headphones, computer speakers, home stereo surround, and 500 watt 10 speaker car stereo before deciding.

I DO suggest checking your mix in headphones, (GOOD ONES) because you can hear so much more... however there is so much less you can hear also. like the low ends.

think of it this way, you mix your song down, and it has drums and bass guitar and vocals. you do it all on your headphones.

headphones cannot play back the low ends near as well so you unplug the headphones burn a cd, because you know it sounds awesome... and go to the club, and play it on the awesome professional system. HOLY CRAP now you cannot hear a word of the vocalist because almost the whole mix is all bass guitars and drums, which you remember tweaking to get that heavy sound. which is just what you got in your headphones.

however dont throw the headphones in the can just yet. they are still usefull!! they allow you to hear more of the stereo image and more of other crucial parts, so it is my opinion to use both.

also NO DONT USE THE GUITAR AMP! YUK probably mono.. well, if all your recording is a mono guitar signal it is not so bad, but dont forget that the amp adds to the sound, and playing it twice will increase this effect, so you are not truly hearing it the way it was recorded. your hearing it with twice as much "amp" effect.

FW

First off, quit using that damn guitar amp. You'll never get a decent mix with that! And don't completly trust the sound of your headphones. Headphones, like sheep, lie. Do you have a decent home stereo ? Not a boom box, a real reciever-stereo at least in the 100-200 watt range. If so, get some patch cables, you'll probably need at least ten foot ones, maybe twenty. You'll want the kind that have 1/4 inch male plugs on one end and RCA males on the other. You can find these at most music stores or even Radio Shack. They're not expensive. Plug the 1/4 inch ends into the l and r output jacks on your recorder ( assuming that's what it has ) and plug the the RCA plugs into an open input on the back of your stereo, being careful to keep track of which is left and which is right. Doesn't matter which input you use (cd, tape, video, whatever your not using for something else), except don't use the "phone" input, as that amplifies the sound much more because it works off a needle stylus. Viola dude, you got monitors ! Much better than any friggin' mono guitar amp! On your remote or on the stereo, press the button of the input you just plugged into ( cd, tape, whatever) and your ready to push play on your recorder and hear your song. You may have to turn the volume way up to hear it good, but that's no biggie. Doesn't mean your doin'g anything wrong in the recording process. Just means you gotta turn the stereo up a little more. When you burn to cd it should play at same volume as any other cd.
Now about headphones vs monitors, I would say monitors 75%, headphones 25%. Listen to each several times . Mix, remix, listen, repeat, add infinutum. No, that's not an effect. Mean's do it a lot. back and forth; phones, monitors. This is just my way, and my final mix before sending it all to computer is based on the best I can get from my monitors. I've developed my way by trial and error, LOTS of error, but I hope I've helped you some.
joe

HangDawg said:
Why do people always seem to make it harder than necessary? :rolleyes:

It's kind of like going to the auto parts store and asking them what you need to be able to drive your car with only 3 wheels.

That shit is sooo funny!!!! LMAOAW (laughin my ass off at work)

Here's a bit of a different perspective.

If all you are doing is recording riffs to give your band, then it doesn't matter what you record it on - and why are you worried about it coloring the sound? For guitar parts, color is what counts (at least to me, because I see music in colors in my mind). However, the color I am talking about is affected by EQ, effects, playing techniques, string condition, pickups, etc... Get the sound you want to get out of your amp and then record it, don't worry about whether or not it is colored. If you like the way it sounds, then it sounds OK for your purposes. And why are you worrying about mixing if all you are recording are riffs? Also, for what you are describing, headphones will do just fine, however, for critical mixing, don't do it. I have tried with Sennheiser HD600's and it doesn't work well for mixing more than a couple of sounds.

Some of Pink Floyds best songs were first recorded on a small reel-to-reel tape deck (no, not one like you would find in a studio, just one of those old decks, possibly even in mono, that people had to listen to) before they were ever recorded in a studio. I used to hook up my amp to a stereo cassette deck and record riffs like that. If you doubt me then go get a copy of the Making of The Dark Side of the Moon DVD.

You don't need fancy monitors to learn about EQ. Start with what you have, the EQ on your amp, or your stereo. You might find a home hi-fi EQ at a thrift store that will let you experiment. You can get EQ stomp boxes also, or you can download something like Audacity and experiment with EQ on your computer. Just experiment with it and listen to how it affects things.

It is easy to say that you need good monitors, but good monitors are only as good as the gear they are hooked up to. Even with good monitors you will not get the best results if you have cheap cables, or a home stereo powering them. Every upgrade I have ever made in my studio has made a noticable improvement, whether it was monitors, cables, mixers, sound cards, etc... All of these things work together. If all you have is a home stereo, then there is no point in even considering studio monitors. Hooking them up to that would be a waste of money. If you can afford it and really want to step up, then at least get a small 4-track ($100.00), a small EQ like one of those little Sonitus ones and some active monitors (you can find decent small ones for less than 300.00 that might suit your needs). Just remember, that once you start to upgrade you will worry more and more about room acoustics, the actual quality of the gear you have, etc... and unless you have decent RECORDING equipment hooked up to those monitors with decent cables then they won't put out the sound they are capable of anyhow. Getting really good quality in a home studio does not come without an often hefty price tag.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you can't afford to invest in some decent gear then use what you have in whatever configuration sounds best to you. Don't expect too much from it and just have fun.

Back