Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Mastering Clinic #1!!!!!

Thanks

DIY Mastering Clinic #1!!!!!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ladies and Gentlemen, here it is, the long-awaited mastering contest now reborn as the DIY Mastering Clinic!!!!

First let me explain the objectives of the Clinic, then I will set down the rules:

Objectives:

The objective is to give home recorders insight into the mastering process as well as some basic analysis and techniques for improving final mixes via stereo bus processing.

The emphasis will not be on LOUDNESS! Mixes will almost certainly get louder, but we hope to gain an understanding of not only how loud a mix can be, but how loud it should be.

Finally and most importantly, we'll learn what should really be corrected in tracking and mixing and not left for mastering.

Am I going to teach all of this? I hope not! As your host, I will be commenting and encouraging frequently, but the Clinic is open to everyone who wants to post a master, and everyone who wants to comment.

Rules:

This is not a contest; it is not judged, there is no winner, there are no prizes. As it is not a contest, please don't feel there are any secrets--post your master, describe your objectives, describe your process and how successful you feel you were.

I will be posting finished mixes that I have solicited and received from well-known members of Homerec. These members aren't looking for free mastering!!! To emphasize this, the final mixes will be in .mp3 format--nothing they could use for a CD.

I am not a moderator, and generally speaking, there aren't many moderators around here anyway I will ask that any commercial activity be kept to PMs and off the Clinic thread. As host, I will personally not solicit or accept any such business. Everyone else is free to do whatever they like.

I hope that will do. Next post will have the first track!
    Last edited by mshilarious; 03-15-2006 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Before the track link, a few words on what the Clinic isn't:

It isn't really real "mastering". Not because we might not be pros, but simply because we are only taking one song in isolation and not producing a premaster CD. So I feel there's lots to the process that will be left out. That is an acknowledged limitation of the Clinic.

The first track is by Dogman, featuring Jack Real and VSpaceBoy. I'll let Dogman tell you more about it. I think it's a track not only with potential, but lots of different options. It's on the long side, so one challenge will be to keep it sounding fresh. There aren't glaring faults, but there is still stuff that could be fixed (to be fair to Dogman, I asked him to give me a less processed mix so we'd have more things to play with).

That's all I will say about the track, other than it's a 13 meg 320K mp3:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3052

Also the (60 meg) .wav is available here:

http://www.the4dogz.com/Master/DarkAndLonelyBareMix.wav

And Tom of masteringhouse is hosting the zipped .wav, the .mp3, and a Monkey Audio lossless compressed version here:

http://www.masteringhouse.com/masteringclinic/

(Thanks to NL5 for hosting! If you need a server to upload your master, NL5 has generously offered his site, www.lightningmp3.com)

Let's get mastering!!
    Last edited by mshilarious; 03-16-2006 at 10:29. Reason: added links

Thanks
    This is just what we need. Maybe we can all learn something about mastering instead of hearing the all too common, "You're fools to think you can master at home with nearfields and plugins."

Thanks
    Well, my musical cohort, Supercreep, and I, will be finishing our CD and probably doing a DIY mastering job on it soon. We could use some insights into this process as I'm sure there are many things we're doing wrong or not doing at all.

Mr. Creep is the keeper and master of our digital stuff, so he'd be the one dealing with that, should the need arise. I just want to follow along here and learn and lend my ears and opinions, if no one minds. This should be cool. . .

Thanks
    Do you want us to upload them at 320K mp3?

Thanks for starting this up.
    WARNING:
    THIS POST DOESN'T CONTAIN ANYTHING HELPFUL
    http://www.myspace.com/veritasrs
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by dragon: at 04:10

Thanks
    I am also here to learn. I don't want anyone to do something for me, that I might be capable of doing myself..at least to an acceptable degree. I, for one, have no aspirations of doing anything musical for a living. My money is made on property, and the buying and selling of. My music is for my own pleasure, and I appreciate immensely, any and all help I can get. I would love to learn a lot from people of this end of the music stuff. Thanks for playing gang.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timboZ
    Do you want us to upload them at 320K mp3?

Thanks for starting this up.
    You don't have to, I just wanted to make sure you had the resolution if you wanted it.

Thanks
    Well, I was planning on posting my take first, but the kids are in bed, and seven months after moving, I still haven't done any soundproofing So it will have to wait for tomorrow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Incanus
    Well, my musical cohort, Supercreep, and I, will be finishing our CD and probably doing a DIY mastering job on it soon. We could use some insights into this process as I'm sure there are many things we're doing wrong or not doing at all.

Mr. Creep is the keeper and master of our digital stuff, so he'd be the one dealing with that, should the need arise. I just want to follow along here and learn and lend my ears and opinions, if no one minds. This should be cool. . .
    Creep does metal, yes? Clinic #2 will be a metal track

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mshilarious
    Creep does metal, yes? Clinic #2 will be a metal track
    It's not Metal, just Rock.

Thread Information