Distorted (non-clipping) .wav recording help

robmerow

Hi,
I just did a 32 channel multitrack recording of a live theater show using Soundcraft SI Impact USB output and Adobe Audtion. I've done this successfully many times. But this time when I play back raw recorded .wav files, they ALL sound robotic and garbled. Nothing clipped during recording.

I have a link to a snippet of one of the files, but cannot post it do to being a new member. Is there a way I can share this snippet for reference?

I assume the response is going to be "Bummer man - something must have been wrong with the driver and there is no good data to repair".
But I am hopeful that someone here has a magic fix like "Just change the sample rate to X and invert the polarity and then it will sound fine".

Please help - thank you!

You can disguise a link by inserting spaces between the http and domain part of the url. Dropbox is a good place.

Well, yeah, it's very distorted. I'd start backwards from the PC, e.g., in this order:
  1. use a different computer USB port
  2. use a different USB cable
  3. use a different interface channel
  4. use a different mic cable
  5. use a different mic
See if any of those make a difference.

It looks like a clocking error. There's a 31 sample gap after 481 samples of audio (for the short bit at which I looked closely). I'd suspect something like the software is trying to record at 48k while the converters are feeding it 44.1k.

It looks like a clocking error. There's a 31 sample gap after 481 samples of audio (for the short bit at which I looked closely). I'd suspect something like the software is trying to record at 48k while the converters are feeding it 44.1k.
Or the other way around? The online manual I found (if I read it correctly) says the SI Impact *only* outputs 48kHz. But the WAV is 48k. I'm puzzled.

I guess a quick test would be to try both sample rates in the project settings.

Back