Cymbal mixing

Jye

Have a listen to the drums. The cymbals have some mixing wizardry - they seem flat, lush, 'silvery' (for lack of a better word), and with a slow attack (they take a while to open up) and long resonance/decay. Any ideas on how to get this sound? In particular:

-What mics and where
-EQing to get this aforementioned sound
-Any effects you think are on
-Anything else I have not mentioned!

Cheers
Jye

Attachments

• _Template-idea_.mp3
    715.8 KB · Views: 32
Almost sounds like some phase canceling going on. Could also be a chorus effect.
Not something I'd want but tastes vary.

I actually hear a pretty grating high-end. I don't like the cymbal sound myself. But, like Dog said, different tastes, etc....

It sounds to me like hardcore MP3 file compression, then I looked down at the 64 kb/s bitrate, and my suspicions were confirmed. Low quality MP3's murder cymbals.

Listened to it on my notebook...

What little bit of cymbal I could actually pick out...+1 on phasing issues...kinda reminded me of the cymbal phasing on The Raspberrys' "Go All The Way"...

I could live with the phasing issues on "Go All The Way" because it was a totally kick-ass song. But the piece presented here sounded like a less-than-good recording of a not particularly memorable song...

Sorry...

Sorry, here's the file in 192 kbps brilliance.

Attachments

• _Template-idea_.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Given the sound of the actual "drums", I'd wonder if the drummer is playing with mallets. When played well, a mallet can give you a "shimmering" tone from the cymbals by eliminating the "hard" attack...

It's a crapload of compression with a fast-ish attack and release time. The ride cymbal is probably actually louder than the drums with the way he is hitting them. It also helps to have a ride that sounds like that.

Back