Creating a full stereo sound

leavings

I am currently working on a project recorded at home, and having trouble creating a full stereo image. I have a few questions and any information you have I would greatly appreciate.

The tracks are recorded in stereo using Cakewalk 9, and initially I simply toyed with the panning a little bit to try and get the full stereo sound. Recently I was listening to some professional recordings, and I realized that they had duplicated a lot of the tracks (especially guitars and vocals) and spread them to opposite sides, then delayed one side by a small amount. I tried doing this with my tracks and it sounded great. However, I am concerned that it will make my recordings incompatible with any mono system. So, my questions are these:

1) Is mono compatibility something I really need to worry about? I don't imagine many people listen to music on mono systems anymore, is that true?

2) What are other drawbacks to this method of spreading out the stereo image, if any?

3) If this isn't a good idea, what other methods can I use? I can't express how much more full and complete the recording sounded when I tried this out, and I really want to maintain that sense of space. Naturally though, I want the recording to sound good to everyone. So if there are other ways to achieve that sound, I would love to try them.

For information, the music is folky, mostly acoustic guitar and vocals. There are a few other instruments, but I'm not so concerned with those. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for your help!

Play it back in mono and see how it sounds...

That is all I can suggest... some people probably will listen in mono... you can't automatically assume that no one will.
I honestly would worry more about how it sounds mono than stereo... If it sounds good in mono, and happens to sound good in stereo as well, then more power to you...

Usually when I record in stereo, I use the two outputs from my effects processor... which are different signals because they are stero effects. But true, doubling a track and panning it out isn't really stereo. Slightly offsetting them gives a false sense of stereo though.

Sorry for the confusion. When I say I recorded them in stereo, I mean I used two mics and recorded into a stereo track. Cakewalk allows you to process the information from both mics into one track, rather than have two separate tracks to deal with. Then, I duplicated the stereo tracks and split them up one to each side. This serves the same purpose as just splitting up the left and right portions of the original stereo track, but the way I did it is easier to manipulate with the software I'm using.

I hope that clarifies what I'm trying to do. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!

It's a good idea to check things in mono not necessarily because people listen to things in mono anymore, but to check the phase relationship between R+L channels.

Back