Correcting recording problems sent by others

maxgoof

I create audio stories, and often use voices from amateurs from all over the world.

Often, their recordings are not ideal.

I can do things like noise filtering up to a point, correcting for lack of bass or treble.

I can advise them to get closer to the mic to reduce room reverb and not talk directly into the mic.

But sometimes, I get recordings which sound like SOMETHING is missing, but I don't know what. Like they were talking through a cardboard tube or the like.

I don't know how to correct for that. I could, if I knew what was missing. Simply get out the equalizer.

Is there a website that has common recording problems that can be solved using an equalizer with samples?

I've attached an example. He's got something funky going on in the background, that I can remove, but once that is gone, it sounds...I don't know...hollow?

Attachments

• Tavimunk-adjutant.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I think I've been dealing with a similar thing lately.
I'm piecing together audio for church services, all recorded at various people's homes.
Some of the clips sound like they were recorded in a tin can and others sound great.

The best I can do, really, is scan with narrow eq boost to highlight the frequencies which ring the most in each person's room and then try to cut them a little.
It's never going to make it sound like it was recorded in a padded cell but it can help.

Another thing I tried was using a de-verb plugin, mostly because I'd never used one before and I was curious how good they would be.
They can get very unnatural sounding very quickly but, like careful eq, can help a bit.

I only have a demo de-verb plugin so there are missing chunks, but here's your clip processed by me.
Curious to know if you think it's better or worse. :laughings:

Attachments

• Deverb+eq.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
When I receive recordings done in home studios for mixing, the biggest problem is that they have recorded in a crap room and there are tones in the recording from the bad room acoustics.

Alan

I think I've been dealing with a similar thing lately.
I'm piecing together audio for church services, all recorded at various people's homes.
Some of the clips sound like they were recorded in a tin can and others sound great.

The best I can do, really, is scan with narrow eq boost to highlight the frequencies which ring the most in each person's room and then try to cut them a little.
It's never going to make it sound like it was recorded in a padded cell but it can help.

Another thing I tried was using a de-verb plugin, mostly because I'd never used one before and I was curious how good they would be.
They can get very unnatural sounding very quickly but, like careful eq, can help a bit.

I only have a demo de-verb plugin so there are missing chunks, but here's your clip processed by me.
Curious to know if you think it's better or worse. :laughings:

That does sound better to me. What is the plugin you speak of? I am now curious as well.

Just finished mixing a song by a great talented guy that has a really shitty room and tendency to record with way too much reverb.

---------- Update ----------

When I receive recordings done in home studios for mixing, the biggest problem is that they have recorded in a crap room and there are tones in the recording from the bad room acoustics.

Alan

Ditto...

Back