Constant level of bass in a mix

Jack Real

Hi

When I listen to one of my mix, the level of my bass is not constant from notes to notes. It is not a matter of playing the notes at equal level because the keyboard has a feature that allows all the notes to come out at the same level. It's more like some notes (one in particular) come out stronger in the mix than the others. My keyboard doesn't have a function that allows me to set the output level for each note so I'm stuck with 2 options:

1) Increase the dynamic range setting of the keyboard and play the keyboard so the notes are more even in the mix or

2) Apply parametric EQ on specific notes at the mastering stage to even out the notes

Is any of you facing the same problem with the bass level in their mix ? If yes, what is your solution ?

Thanks,

Jack Real

Jack, first off your grammar is horrendous.

It's hard to say the best way to fix this problem without hearing it. If you are recording on a computer there are many great editing options to choose from like a volume envelope or maybe frequency specific compression if you have the plugin needed. You could even process the track in an editor like Cool Edit or Sound Forge to reduce the volume in the problem areas. Which software are you using?

Why don't you post the bass track in question at Nowhereradio and I can try to fix it and tell you what I did.

jake_owa wrote:

It's hard to say the best way to fix this problem without hearing it. If you are recording on a computer there are many great editing options to choose from like a volume envelope or maybe frequency specific compression if you have the plugin needed. You could even process the track in an editor like Cool Edit or Sound Forge to reduce the volume in the problem areas. Which software are you using?

Why don't you post the bass track in question at Nowhereradio and I can try to fix it and tell you what I did.

Answer:

I have a sequencer and an Alesis Keyboard. I can modify the midi information of the sequencer but the interface is not that friendly. I have included the bass track of the song at the Nowhereradio site. The group is called Soft Sequences and he song is called "A Jamais". The bass track is in "A Jamais (Bass)".

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2872&alid=-1

I received good mixing tips for that song at the MP3 clinic but now I feel my bass and vocals need serious improvements.

Thanks for the help

/Jack Real

is that particular note the lowest note that you play? have you tried multiband compressor? I am suspecting it's the bass frequency that's making one note sounding louder than the others when being played at the same velocity.

Al

A1A2 wrote:

is that particular note the lowest note that you play? have you tried multiband compressor? I am suspecting it's the bass frequency that's making one note sounding louder than the others when being played at the same velocity.

Answer:

It's the highest note, the "D" that is too strong. The other 2 notes, "A" and "G" are quite balanced. On the wave form, they all have the same level but when I listen to the track, I have the impression the "D" is stronger than the other two.

/Jack Real

I probably shouldn't be answering this question, but I will give you my guess...

since human ears are more sensitive to highs, that note could be heard better than lower notes due to the higher frequencies it contains.

I know my opinion is somewhat varying from my last post, but give multiband compression a try anyway. Or just simply lower the volume of that note in your midi sequencer.

Al

A1A2 wrote:

since human ears are more sensitive to highs, that note could be heard better than lower notes due to the higher frequencies it contains.

I know my opinion is somewhat varying from my last post, but give multiband compression a try anyway. Or just simply lower the volume of that note in your midi sequencer.

Answer:

It's my opinion also. The bass sound is called "Deep bass" and the lows are really low. I will add volume to the "A" and "G" to balance things. Do you know if the low cut off frenquency for the human ear is roughly the same for everybody ? I don't want to make a mix that sounds good to me to find out later that some people think it has too much low while other think it's too thin.

Thanks,

Jack Real

Jack Real said:
A1A2 wrote:

Answer:

It's my opinion also. The bass sound is called "Deep bass" and the lows are really low. I will add volume to the "A" and "G" to balance things. Do you know if the low cut off frenquency for the human ear is roughly the same for everybody ? I don't want to make a mix that sounds good to me to find out later that some people think it has too much low while other think it's too thin.

Thanks,

Jack Real

hi, jack,

there is a quote button right above the "Post Reply" button, it should save you some trouble typing the quotations:)

now, let me quote from Bob Owsinki's Mixing Enginner's Handbook:

"16-60Hz=more felt than heard. Too much emphasis can muddy the mix.

60-250Hz=contains the fundamental notes of the rhythm sections, so EQing this range can change the musical balance, making it fat or thin.
"

I have no idea what the people's average bass hearing is, but as a general rule of thumb, reference your mix to a commmercial CD that you know it's got a bass sound you're after.

But, remember, the bass is often complemented by the kick drum also, keep that in mind when you're working with the overall mix's bass. Pay a visit to the MP3 clinic here, and post a sample up, and people will let you know how your bass sounds to them on their systems.

Good luck, man

Al

Back