connecting Yamaha MIDI keyboard to PC

stratman09

Hello,

I need help using my older Yamaha V50 keyboard as a MIDI controller in Ableton Live 8. Currently, I connect my guitar through a Mackie DFX-6 and into the PC by an M-Audio Audiophile 192 sound card. I'm not sure if I can connect from my Yamaha MIDI into the Mackie or if I have to run it in to the PC directly through USB or some other way? Could someone please help me with this connection?:confused:

You have a variety of options available to you.
The M-Audio Audiophile is one way, line in to your Mackie is another, USB/Midi devices are extremely inexpensive, the list goes on and depends on what you actually want to accomplish.
Do you want the Yamaha 50 sounds or just the midi controller features?

A usb midi interface is fine; you can pick them up for $40 or less.

Midi is a fairly low-bandwidth protocol (it was designed on 8mhz computers using 9600baud serial ports, FAR slower than usb...) and as long as you have the software pointed to the right place, it won't card.

Thanks for responding guys! I guess running into the Mackie would be the easiest way since that's why I have it, right? That would allow me to control all of my "real" instrument signals going into Ableton as well.:) I did try the Line Out of the YAM into the Line IN of the MACK but all I got was a clipping sound when I hit a key. That's when I figured I needed to use the MIDI connection on the back of the YAM into the MACK. Is that right? Do I need a MIDI to TRS cable or adapter to connect or how does that work? Also, it would be nice to have the YAM sounds as well, yes. Will this connection allow me to do that? Also, could you recommend a good place to buy cables, maybe some links to the cables I would need for different configurations if it's not too much trouble?:o

Not really:
Here's what I picked up from a review.
In a live situation, we were impressed with its low noise and tough casing, and at home it's a great little unit for putting together sound recordings and podcasts (although the lack of a USB port is a pain).
And that was what I was looking for.
No USB. So really, you're doing all of your mixing on the Mackie when you could be using an interface and mixing within your DAW, at your leisure.
Again, if it's the Yamaha sounds you want, go "Line In" to your mixer or interface.
If it's midi control your after, the USB/midi device or midi interface is the way to go.
Have a quick look at the Midi section in Tweakheadz Guide. I think it's on the second page.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Right, Jim. No USB on the Mackie DFX-6. I am basically just going to use it as a guitar and bass interface and then recording in Ableton Live. Also, I can run the YAM straight into the Mackie if I want to use the sounds, drum machine, etc. I was just unsure how to use my YAM keyboard as a MIDI controller. Your suggestion of MIDI to USB will work fine I'm sure, I just don't know which one or where to purchase? Google is my friend though. Thanks for the suggestion and for the link to TweakLabs, which will help immensely as well, I am sure!:)

OK, well now I feel stupid:rolleyes: My Audiophile 192 breakout cable already HAS MIDI connections so all I have to do is connect the YAM to my sound card. Jeez...Time to cable shop. Thanks again, Jim.:)

Back