Computer Speakers / Stereo Speakers

wvsoulja

Is there a way to play music from a computer to say +/- connected speakers.. I want to buy some big speakers with a sub and hook them to my computer.. I need to know if it's possible, and if so, what do I need to do/get?

Yes you can connect regular speaker to your sound card with the correct combination of connectors. You will need something to amplify the speakers with though..

For instance, you will need a 1/8 inch stereo output jack that will come out of your sound card and be converted to something else like RCA that will connect to a Reciever/amplifier that will power the speakers.

That's the way I do it. You can take your soundcard output and plug it into any free input in a surround reciever or even a guitar amp if you want to. I plan on using my bass amp to drive a subwoofer when I get my room in the garage finished. I am debating how to connect my Yorkville YSM1P's and a stereo reciever to my soundcard out put, so I can use them both, or one or the other. I have an extra 6 channel mixer that I could route the output of the souncard to and use it as a distribution mixer to the stereo, YSM1P's, and my bass amp. That's probably how I will do it.

What you mean? I dunno none of the soundcard's outputs.. I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2.. With 3x50watt -/+ speakers that I want to connect; and play through my computer. And in the near future, bigger ones.. So do I need an amp? I dunno how to do it, or where to start. Totally lost!

wvsoulja said:
What you mean? Totally lost!

You have an output on your soundcard that outputs a line out level signal.

You can run this into a receiver or a power amp. These are then plugged into the speakers. The only thing you have to match up are the jacks and the plugs used on the various devices.

Yeah, what Doc said. I don't know much about the audigy, but I believe it's capable of driving small computer speakers. If you want a bigger sound you will need a cable with a 1/8" stereo jack on one end and two crown type jacks on the other. You plug the 1/8" jack into the Audigy's "line out" (It should be labled, or look on-line for a users manual that shows you the outputs). You plug the other end with the two crown jacks into an extra stereo reciever input or power amp. And then speakers wires out of the reciever to the big speakers.

Thanks man that helps, but I don't think I'll get the picture untill I see one I guess. =) Maybe like a diagram or something? I can't find recording books anywhere. Well I can but I haven't gotten any.. Any diagrams? Thanks.

Me too

I'm going to jump on wvsoulja's thread here because I have a similar question. I'm thinking of getting some active monitors for my computer. Can I just use the line out and do I need to go through something else in between the sound card and speakers?

I'm assuming I can get adapters for the 1/8 out to XLRs or TLRs. Is that a Radio Shack item or someplace else?

Thanks
(my first post, take it easy on me)

Hi. Just bumping this up as it's been about a week. Maybe I should start my own thread? I just thought this all tied together...

Re: Me too

milhouse88 said:
I'm going to jump on wvsoulja's thread here because I have a similar question. I'm thinking of getting some active monitors for my computer. Can I just use the line out and do I need to go through something else in between the sound card and speakers?

I'm assuming I can get adapters for the 1/8 out to XLRs or TLRs. Is that a Radio Shack item or someplace else?

Thanks
(my first post, take it easy on me)

Yes

Go to Radio Shack and get the proper adapters.
Active monitors have their own power source.

Malcolm

I got an adapter that has a stereo 1/8 plug that plugs into my stereo LINE OUT of the soundcard and becomes two RCA (for basic audio cable) connections. See the small triangle.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• souncard in.jpg
    souncard in.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 45
Richie Woods said:
I got an adapter that has a stereo 1/8 plug that plugs into my stereo LINE OUT of the soundcard and becomes two RCA (for basic audio cable) connections. See the small triangle.

Hope that helps!

It's $5 at Radio Shack for this RCA to 1/8" Y adapter. Make sure you get the stereo one.

kt

Then from the 1/8" to RCA I'd have to have another adpater to get to XLR or TRS? That's the adapter I haven't seen.

Also is the Line Out the right level to go straight to active monitors?

THANKS

Back