computer screens between monitors ??

DeadPoet

carpe diem
something strange has happened....

My dad bought this 15" LCD for my mom's old laptop, but the connector didn't fit (pin9) so I traded it for one of my old 14" CRT's... woohoow, happy me, an lcd to sit next to my 19" crt...

The monitors were always positioned on my desk with the monitor at the sides. When removing the old 15" and experimenting with screen positions (cable on the lcd is kinda short) while playing some CD's through the monitors I noticed a clearer image from the speakers!!
Now I arranged the lcd to be at the left side of the main screen (was right side) and the cleaner imaging seems to still be there...

would it be that there is less reflection from the sides of the screens because there is less mass between the monitors or is this all imaginary ????

Wouldn't it always be better to not have anything between the speakers ????

Herwig

Hmmm, interesting.... I have a big ole 21" sony monitor between my audio monitors... would it be a good idea to treat the sides of the PC monitor with auralex to kill early reflections?

I'm thinking maybe yes, but what do I know?

i just read that post again. now i get it. i don't want to have to move my computer monitor! damn the early reflections!

I have a 21" Idek monitor between my KRK's, and noticed a definite improvement in clarity when I put 3" foam on the sides of the CRT - it also seems to help to place the CRT as far away as you can and still see what you need.

I'm working up a desk design now that will put 4 19" LCD's behind the mixers at a VERY low angle (nearly horizontal) so the L,C, and R nearfields will be at ear height without tilting, and the LCD panels will shunt any early reflections below my head and to the rear diffusors. It's not gonna be a quick design, it's amazing how many factors need to be considered to make a control room usable... Steve

HF reflections

I hope the following helps explain some of the phenomenon you are observing and how they relate to HF reflections.

Discrete reflections are a dominant effect in small rooms with low reverberation times. They are most often audible as comb filters (changing the HF spectral response) and give distant and “smeary” character to the sound. Sound reflections can occur from side walls, rear walls, furniture, video monitors, mixing consoles, or any other large surface within the path of the speakers’ radiation. By changing the placement of the computer monitors you have changed the angle of the reflected energy. Your improvement in imaging leads me to believe that the reflections are now mostly away from the main monitoring area.

The issue you have discovered is something that we find a lot. If your speakers have a relatively wide dispersion in the HF region, the amount of surfaces that will be reflecting energy back towards the listener increases. Treating those areas with absorption / defusing or moving the reflective surfaces improves imaging and perceived frequency response.

The above problem can be exaggerated by speakers that have very poor off axis frequency response. This would mean that the reflected energy is different from the direct field energy and would more greatly affect spectral and image shift. A speaker with smooth on and off axis response would have less perceived spectral shift, although the image shift may only be slightly better.

To improve imaging and reduce spectral shift in the HF region it is highly recommend that you reduce or eliminate the direct paths of reflection back to the listing area. This can be a huge challenge, especially when you consider the mixing console is usually the biggest problem.

Anyway, I hope this explanation helps explain what you are perceiving...

thanks Bruce, BlueSky & all the others...
I'm experimenting with speaker and monitor placement right now to get it even better. (I'm not a big fan of foaming the whole thing)

Herwig

Back