compressor tilted my balance

crosstudio

a song that i co-wrote, produced, recorded, mixed, and mastered sounded good in my studio, my car, my PC at work, and the car of the cousin of the lead rapper.

then yesterday, i noticed that the high's had lost the original sheen that it had. i had been working on the mixing and mastering of the song every night after work for 3 days.

at first i thought that the problem was that i had the EQ first then compression in the individual track effects. i'm doing EQ cuts (high pass) so i tend to put the EQ first in this situation. i reversed it and thought that i heard an improvement, but that wasn't the root cause of the problem.

the problem was that my attack settings on the percussion instruments was too fast. i had the attack setting for the congas set for 2.0ms. once i changed the attack setting for the congas to 7.6ms and the bass to 7.6ms with the guitar and vocals set to 3.6ms attack, the tracks got back to a place where i had the highs and the control.

i also changed the attack time of the multiband compressor such that the attack of the high band is set to 3.6ms, the 2 middle bands are at 7.2ms and the low band set to 14.6ms.

that's good.

what's bad is that we made some copies of the single for some club and radio DJ's, and the song is being played on the radio in DC this weekend (sunday night on WKYS 93.9). it sounds good and the format of the song is a local flavor that does well in the area, but it could have been just a little bit better.

http://www.crosstudio.net

Yo, Where are you located in DC. I am located in Landover, MD
I may come by and check you guys out...Maybe colab on somethin. Holla back

chalin27: my home studio is in waldorf, md about 25 minutes from Landover. 25 minutes down 202 (landover/largo road) to 301 south. I also work with 1worldstudios.com (dan and kofi) who are in NW near O street where the new convention center is being built. where in landover are you? near the stadium or closer to cheverly?

DJ Niko caught the flu, and DJ go-go Rudy had to sub for him, so the song didn't get played.

I tell you what... this music thing is friggin' frustrating.

I'm on summervile blvd. I'm basically next door to Fedex field. Sorry to hear the song didn't get played. I am definitely thinking about coming thru and check'n you guys out. At what times are you available? I am working on a solo project for myself and I'm looking for some producers like myself to colab with. Give me a holla on my email at Chalin27@hotmail.com

Back