Commercial CD Tracks Clipped??!!

The Seifer

Banned
So I bought blink 182's latest turd and listened to it for a while. It sounds like complete ass; it has that MUD sound of an over compressed mix with bad EQing on the tracks.

After I listened to it for a few days I opened it in Cool Edit Pro to look at the waveforms like I usually do with all of my new CD's just to see how far they've gone this time. A few of the tracks were what I expected; just huge blocks of sound that were limited at about -.01 so they didn't go over. The rest of the tracks were going over 0dB all over the place and were totally clipping. Is this a new trick to get it ULTRA LOUD or something?

origianally i thought that zero clipping was allowed in mixes. Since then i have opened a lot of wavs in cool edit and noticed that they go over that decibal range as well. Fpr exmple Jack Johnson's Taylor has some mad clipping in it according to cool edit but when i play the song it sounds fine, a little bassy but definately ok.
I wonder how accurate cool edits meters are.

Yes blink 182s new album is terrible, as is the recording...

..I remember Red Hot Chili Peppers had a pretty lousy clipping problem on the original 'Californication' album, but there was a silent recall...

actually that wave doesn't look bad at all.

now the wave for Story of the Year - Until the Day i Die, looks just like this:

i'm so not joking :D

Back