Clip gain automation Cubase

davecg321

This seems like a better option than riding faders (volume automation) as one can get a more consistent level before hitting compressors etc...

I've seen a video of someone doing it on pro tools but am at a loss for utilizing this technique in Cubase.

This seems like a better option than riding faders (volume automation) as one can get a more consistent level before hitting compressors etc...

I've seen a video of someone doing it on pro tools but am at a loss for utilizing this technique in Cubase.

In Cubase you just cut an event and pull the handle 'square dot' at the top middle of the highlighted event. Crossfades are very important here if editing during a phrase...

It may be that protools 'clip' is synonymous with 'event' in Cubase? Not sure. But just 'ALT + left click on a selected track to cut it up and you will see the handles within each section.

Back in Pro Tools 7.4 I used to gripe about the lack of a clip gain feature like what Vegas Pro had as long as I can remember. You had to go into Audio Suite to do it. Now what it has is better. You can automate the clip gain line just like you automate the volume line. I have to admit it's awesome because in Vegas Pro you still have to slice up the clips, adjust them individually and crossfade them, which might be what you have to do in Cubase. It seems so primitive to me now that I'm used to the new PT style.

Now if Avid could just learn how a proper solo bus works.

i still use Waves Vocal Rider for rides

That would work for automating before compressors, or whatever other effects, as long as VR is first in the chain, but I think clip gain has the advantage of being farther back in the chain, and affects all sends regardless of settings.
I think if you relied on your first plugin for clip/volume automation, then any sends would have to be post fader in order to carry that volume automation?

Might not be 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of catch.

A couple people on this forum mistakenly believe that gain staging within a channel doesn't matter. This is a prime example of where they're clearly wrong.

Its a good practice by large to get in the habit of getting levels somewhat under control before sending the source to any plugins. Especially plugins where the sonic signature is signal dependent.

Probably best to do what Jimmy69 said above. Cut the performance into pieces then re-gainstage each piece.

MatrixSound's idea of throwing a vocal rider at the front of the chain works sometimes, but that plugin is hit-or miss as to how nicely it plays with the plugins that follow it. Its also tough to control. Its really meant to be tossed at the end of the chain.

Back