CK and G how do i remove them from vocals

RobbieD

Hey guys I just wanna know how to remove the ck and g sounds from my vocals, theyre really pissing me off lol. I use a dynamic mic so i dont use a pop filter, is there a certain order i should be putting my plugins? like de esser first, exciter then compressor... Please help

Your tongue is smacking the back of the roof of your mouth. Stop doing that. It's like sibilance -- The best way to control it is to not do it.

OTHERWISE -- The only thing that's going to make a decent dent in it after the fact would be a spectral editor of some sort.

Exciter...? :confused:

A pop filter won't make a difference with those type of artifacts. You probably don't need an exciter on your vocals. Try without that.

Also, experiment with compressor settings, mostly backing off the ratio. I have similar problems with G's and K's and I like to compress my vox pretty hard. So it comes down to training yourself to not sing like that, like Massive suggested. Don't forget your de-esser is a compressor too. Dial that thing back as well.

When all else fails, add a cymbal crash every time you hit your K's hard. :D

If your using a good DAW you can edit them out. I have a weak voice so I use a lot of hi-end gain and compression too. Like these guys are saying the best way is to under-pronounce certain things, it can be done. But if I get a good take with an ugly Kuh I will go through, pick out the wave form that's the Kuh sound and add -6db. That will take it below the track volume without making it un-natural.

That's easy... UAD 1176. Roll off everything below 200hz, a touch of slapback and a touch of reverb (UAD EMT-140, love that verb) and that's it.

Of course, my style is probably different from yours.

Where I can't fix by retracking, I use volume automation on the little bits of any syllable that stick out too much.

Back