cheesey brass sound!

drummersteve

Hi,

Im currently working on creating some Michael Jackson backing tracks. Im trying to find a really cheesy brass section sound to get some brass riffs going. Listen to the 4th beat of first bar in chorus there is a brass stab... that exact sound.

Anyone know of any good instruments/plugins which can get a good sound like this?

Cheers!

PS. Using real instruments is not an option! Thanks :D

Haha dammit my bad (no pun intended)... I had it in my head I had already said... The track is Bad by Michael Jackson. Sorry! Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve

Haha,

Yeah sorry I didn't include it in the post... anyway, the song is pretty irrelevant, its just a really cheesey brass section sound that I want, that's just an example of what I meant in case "chessey brass section" is too vague!

Haha,

Yeah sorry I didn't include it in the post... anyway, the song is pretty irrelevant, its just a really cheesey brass section sound that I want, that's just an example of what I meant in case "chessey brass section" is too vague!

Yeah, it probably is too vague. There are so many different ways to define "cheesy" and you clearly have a particular sound bouncing around in your head. An example would help...

Go to the local secondhand store and buy anything that sez CASIO on it. Guaranteed cheese deluxe.

chazba

You can always go with garage bands cheesy sounds.

If you don't have access to it, just tell me what you need and i can throw it together.

The garageband sound isn't bad... but its not big and "in your face enough"... Im sure there must be a software instrument available somewhere which is full of this sort of thing?...

Have tried adding effects in your DAW, EQ, compression etc.? Also, how have you arranged the part? I'm pretty sure using one-note lines ain't gonna cut it :P

how have you arranged the part? I'm pretty sure using one-note lines ain't gonna cut it :P

Exactly. It's not just about the "sound". It's about the arrangement of the lines. You can't play a keyboard voicing if you want a horn chord.

Well, I'm pretty sure that in this instance it is literally a one note stab... perhaps the octave below as well, but there isn't much else horn wise happening. I've got all the other parts down now, the synth, guitar/clavi, bass and drums... I guess I could mess around with the sound myself... I was just sure that I had heard a sound just like this before without having to play around at all... perhaps it's on my old keyboard...

Thanks anyway guys!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of those Phil Collins and Michael Jackson stabs are octaves, not chords. I (thankfully) haven't heard one of those tunes recently enough to remember.

You can always use live brass. If it only a few stabs the final cost could be as low as $85-100 - cheaper than using a VST plugin. Also you can look up newyorkbrass.com and download samples.

Back