Cheap speaker repair

Stone B

No.....I didn't blow my monitors four days after getting them.
I have another pair of speakers, some old JBLs, a while ago my brother insisted on removing the grills from them so they would look cool. Years later the cones on the tweeters are cracked. I just bought some nearfields so I'm broke for now, and my next priority is a new Motherboard. Is there a cheap way to repair the cones. Is it possible to replace "just" the cone? or do I have to just replace the entire thing? how much would that cost me?

Is this the right forum to post this?

you can recone it.. its not hard... IF you can fins the parts. Just rubber cement and an exacto knife needed..

SPEAKING of rubber cement!! that is your cheap assed fix. Coat the cones with rubber cement. I did it on my Bostons 3 years ago.. they still sound great.

xoox

Thanks guys

I checked out those websites, one mostly talked about replacing the surround, my cone is cracked, I think I'll try one of your suggestions, that rubber cement sounds good.

Do I need to take the speaker out to do this?

I've heard of Gorilla snot before, but I thought it was for guitarists. Where can I get it?

Any more suggestions?

Cone tweeter? Does it sound really BAD?

Anything you do to "repair" it will most likely alter the sound. So, unless it sounds obviously distorted, I would just leave it alone until you can afford to replace both.

Anyhow, cone tweeters are cheap. You probably won't have to pay more than $10 a piece. The hardest part will be finding the right ones.

What model JBL is it?

barefoot

It sounds really bad

It buzzes and annoys me.

Are the prices really that good? Where?

I think the model is G-733

let me know

The G-733 is a PA speaker with a high frequency horn driver. Are you sure that's the right model number? If yes, then don't you mean you have a cracked woofer cone?

barefoot

I've heard of Gorilla snot before, but I thought it was for guitarists. Where can I get it?

Anyplace that sells auto body repair supplies should have it. I know Pep Boys does.

The "Gorilla Snot" that they sell at music stores is something completely different. 3M weatherstrip adhesive is like contact cement but is much stronger, works better on poreous materials (like paper speaker cones) and doesn't harden when cured (stays flexable).

I'll look in pep boys

All I know is there's the horn, the big speaker, then the smaller one which is cracked.

All I know is there's the horn, the big speaker, then the smaller one which is cracked.

Must be a midrange driver. The weatherstrip adhesive should work fine on that as long as the voice coil isn't damaged. You might want to test your skill with the adhesive on something else before trying it on the speaker. It's sticky stuff until it cures and doesn't come off paper.

Re: I'll look in pep boys

Stone B said:
Yes, the cracked one is the woofer - it's an 8" I believe. M.Brane's adhesive idea should work well. You can use it to adhere a patch strip of paper or cloth.

barefoot

Yeah

A friend of mine just told me yesterday that it was an 8 inch
I have some cheese cloth I was thinking of using to patch it with.

By the way

Is it possible to get replacement grilles for my speakers from the music store, or do I have to contact the company?

Can I make my own?

you can make your own.. I use car audio grilles, though. You can get them anywhere... and they dont rattle.

xoxo

Back