Cheap monitoring: Headphones and active Speakers

six

Howdy

No long introduction, and I know that there are reasons why cheap gear is cheap... but nevertheless:

Which speakers (even if it's logitech) under say 100 bucks really aren't that bad for mixing, i.e. will give you a somewhat objective picture of what's going on in your mix?

And while we're on the subject, any usable headphones for say under 50 bucks?

I don't want to be such a cheapo, but when it comes to equipment, there's nothing more frustrating to me than buying expensive stuff that's good for nothing.

Howdy

No long introduction, and I know that there are reasons why cheap gear is cheap... but nevertheless:

Which speakers (even if it's logitech) under say 100 bucks really aren't that bad for mixing, i.e. will give you a somewhat objective picture of what's going on in your mix?

And while we're on the subject, any usable headphones for say under 50 bucks?

I don't want to be such a cheapo, but when it comes to equipment, there's nothing more frustrating to me than buying expensive stuff that's good for nothing.

there is no such thing as a cheap monitoring solution....

you will limit your ability to get decent mixes by cutting corners here...

AT ms40f's are pretty decent cans for around $60...but cans arent really for mixing more tracking and detailed work...if your not going to spend much more than $100 you'd be better scouring pawn shops for old high end hifi equipment...wont be great but will be better than the results youll get from logitechs etc

tbh..get started but save and buy a decent set of nearfields...ive seen older krk 5's go for under $200 on ebay etc and that'll do you for quite a while

AT ms40f's are pretty decent cans for around $60...but cans arent really for mixing more tracking and detailed work...if your not going to spend much more than $100 you'd be better scouring pawn shops for old high end hifi equipment...wont be great but will be better than the results youll get from logitechs etc

tbh..get started but save and buy a decent set of nearfields...ive seen older krk 5's go for under $200 on ebay etc and that'll do you for quite a while

+1
pretty much nailed it.

You can spend $500,000 on a SSL console - But if you can't hear it accurately, it's good for nothing. On the other hand, you can get the most out of a $100 SM58 if you can hear it accurately.

Without decent monitoring, you'd never know what something is good for. Every single decision you make is based on the accuracy and consistency of your monitoring chain. Skimp anywhere else - Never skimp on your monitors.

Yup, Cheap monitoring is like a cheap hooker

Not Attractive
Have to fight with it to get what you want
In the end you won't be satisfied
Looking back you'll wish you'd spent more

Err.... I may have said too much

Not Attractive

theres no substitute for experience

Now now, we're not here to talk about what I may or may not have done

We're here to discuss cheap hookers..

I mean monitors

I know, I know. Maybe I should've put it differently: I'm looking for speakers that have a reasonably flat frequency response. I just get the impression that modern "home entertainment" speakers have a built in mid-scoop or don't have any mids by design (small satellites and a woofer), whereas with older stuff (early 90s and before) you could at least get something in the area of a flat response.

As for second-hand equipment: believe me, if there WAS a market for audio equipment here, I wouldn't buy new. But there isn't. Not even for musical instruments really. You have to search/announce for ages to find/sell something.

I'll keep the AT ms40f's in mind. I don't use them for mixing really. I just need a replacement and similar to "home entertainment" speakers a lot of headphones seem to have a mid-scoop.

I started with a pretty good home stereo system and after some practice, I was getting some pretty good mixes.
It will be trial and error though. I'd get it sounding good in my room, burn it, plug it into my truck or boombox or whatever...and it would sound like ass dribbles in a bucket of mud.
:D
So I'd tweak it and burn it, tweak and burn and eventually figured out what I needed to do in my room, on that system, to get it to TRANSLATE well to other systems..

And that's pretty much what we're tryin to do. Get it to translate to all sorts of systems from computer speakers to truck stereos to ear buds etc...
:drunk:

Not Attractive

*stands and applauds*

Well played sir... Very well played indeed.

Not Attractive
We obviously have known rather different cheap hookers in our time ! I mean, monitors !

I have been using SP-5Bs for years (i guess they are BX5s now). I've learned to use them but the bass is really missing. I'd recommend something in the 8" range (please no hooker references)! They'll cost more, but I think in the long run it'll be worth it. I'm planning to get some KRK Rokkit 8's pretty soon. I'm tired of messing with the bass and compensating for the speakers.

Back