Good information

Thank you for all the information.
However, trusting my long hours of
writing, recording, and mixing to a
lessor known duplicator feels like
a risk to me.

Thanks anyway.....
:)

Thank you for all the information. However, trusting my long hours of writing, recording, and mixing to a lessor known duplicator feels like a risk to me.
You could be taking the same risk with Discmakers. Trust me, when it comes to CD replication I am THE MAN. I've done it ten or eleven times. Discmakers may do a great job, but you can get someone to do just as good a job for half as much. TRUST ME!

"you can get someone to do just as good a
job for half as much. TRUST ME"

Hi CominginSecond,

Thanks for encouraging me to try another duplicator.
It does help to see that you have experienced
quality many times over from them.

Chuck:)

Hey Chuck,

No problem. I just hate to see a fellow musician throw away money to some heartless CD duplicator.

If you're really concerned about audio quality, give CDman a try. They adhere to ISO9002 manufacturing standards, and you can get automated quotes on their website at www.cdman.com. I've had really good luck with them in the past. I've used them for 5 projects.

I haven't had any CDs duplicated yet myself, so I'm no expert.

And I'm also not familiar with every single manufacturer mentioned in this thread...

I do know a couple of things, though. If you need to have a lot of copies made (and in my mind, anything greater than 100 constitutes "a lot", unless you're just giving copies away to friends, family, and radio stations or the like), you're going to spend a fair amount of money no matter how you slice it. And you've already spent a lot of money and time recording your material. Even if you recorded it yourself, time IS money. Now, why go through all this trouble, only to have your blood, sweat, and tears burned to a CDR? Your work isn't disposable. Why should its packaging be?

This is doubly true if you intend to sell your work. Guess what, consumers don't care about your disclaimers. When I see someone trying to move an unprofessional-looking CDR package, that tells me a lot about the artist. If you value your work, show me. For me, as a consumer, that can be the difference between a sale and no sale.

When I finally have material that I've perfected to the point where I think I'm finally ready to expect someone to actually give me a few bucks for it, which hopefully won't be in the terribly distant future, I imagine that I'll press around 1,000 copies of it. Keeping that figure in mind, I scouted around the Web to get an idea of what I'd get, and what I should expect to pay. I checked out, oh, maybe 20 or so manufacturers. Of those, I was able to get an actual physical demo from four. That was another requirement. If you want my money, I figured, you'd better be able to give me a tangible demonstration of what that money will get me. Of those, I found three of the demonstrations to range from totally unprofessional to very good. I define "totally unprofessional" as "something I could have done myself". If I can do it myself, why on Earth should I pay someone else to do it? "Very good" would be something that looks professional, but not quite like what you would actually buy in a record store. And to me, selling a product that isn't like what you buy in a record store is like saying I'm not as good as those artists. And if I, as a musician and as a product, am not as good as "the other guys", then why should I be asking for money? That's sympathy selling, and money doesn't grow on trees. There are plenty of other CDs that consumers can buy.

And then there was Oasis. They sent me a package that was stuffed so full that it looked as though it were about to split open. Inside I found loads of interesting demonstration products and price lists, one of the two-disc compilations that they produce, and a handwritten note with the name of the salesperson assigned to me, who I could call or email anytime I had a question. The products were exactly the same as what I buy in the record store. No difference. No compromises.

I realize that musicians are driven by some sort of ego thing that makes them dream that maybe, just maybe, they're going to be the one to break through and be adored by millions... but it's also important to be realistic. We're musicians, but we're also consumers. Step back and look at things from the other side. What do you pay money for? I wouldn't pay a dime for the vast majority of indie CDs. What makes you think you're any different? Musicians are a dime a dozen. In my view, if I actually think I'm different, then I want to take every stop possible to make sure people know it.

You absolutely do get what you pay for.

And when the time is right, guess who gets my money?

Hey Eurythmic,

My thoughts exactly. I also got a package from Oasis that was packed
FULL of great examples and a personal attention from a rep. They do
cost more, but they try to earn it.

Now, some in this thread don't agree with the Oasis approach because
of cost and claim to perks for the artist. They have taken that leap of
faith to a smaller duplicator, and claimed they get quality in return.
I can't agrue with that either. In fact I commend them for taking that
leap of faith with their project. I'm just not at that trust level yet. I do
appreciate the assurance that does come from them. I may get there
someday.

I have been recording my second project now for the last year, and maybe that
is it exactly; it is my second project, not my fith or eleventh. When I get to
number five, or eleven, I will have more awareness of the duplication
industry. Right now I just need that warm assurance that my project is safe,
and in good hands. - I will definately give feedback about their claims
to radio promotion too. If I get some results, I praise them. If not, I let
the whole world know - ha ha....

Happy IPM
Chuck

:)

Well... that's the one thing. I wouldn't expect any results at all from their promotion to radio and compilation CDs, etc. Because that's just the way things work. Nothing's going to be handed to you that easily.

But hey, you never know. I did listen to the compilation CD they sent me - well, the first disc anyway. I got bored rather quickly because I didn't think the music was all that good. But I found one song that I liked quite a bit, and went to find out more about that artist. So it certainly can't hurt.

I like the availability through Amazon, though. That means that when you set up a website, instead of bothering with Verisign/shopping cart software/etc, which I know from experience is a complete pain in the butt, you can just link to your page on Amazon. Problem solved.

Oh yeah...

Little addendum to that story. The artist that I enjoyed on the compilation CD doesn't have a webpage, which makes his inclusion pretty much useless from the "fan's" point of view. I was one of the few listeners who actually cared enough to look someone that I liked up, and I found nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, not having any kind of presence on the Internet is pretty much the kiss of death in this day and age.

Eurythmic said:
And then there was Oasis. They sent me a package that was stuffed so full that it looked as though it were about to split open. Inside I found loads of interesting demonstration products and price lists, one of the two-disc compilations that they produce, and a handwritten note with the name of the salesperson assigned to me, who I could call or email anytime I had a question. The products were exactly the same as what I buy in the record store. No difference. No compromises.

All I can say is, "There's one born every minute." I have made CDs that look exactly like the products you can buy in stores from 4 different manufacturers, all of them for much, much cheaper than Oasis or Discmakers. If you feel that you have to pay double because Oasis sent you the most crap and gave you the warmest fuzzies, that's fine by me. I just want everyone who reads this to know that, in my experience, ALL CD DUPLICATORS ARE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME. Don't get duped into believing Discmaker's and Oasis' hype. If you'd like me to send you samples of discs I've had made at smaller duplicators email me at jeremy@cominginsecond.com, and, if you pay the postage, I'll send them to you.

One last thing, most people don't realize that most of the small CD duplicating houses are simply brokers. Most of these CDs are pressed at the same factories that major labels use, because all the smaller duplicators simply contract that part of their business out.

Take it from someone who knows from experience, find the best deal, swallow that part of your ego that says "I have to get my CDs replicated with the people who placed the biggest ad in Mix", and save yourself some money. Give the small dealer a chance (and no, I'm not financially connected to any CD duplicator.)

Most of these CDs are pressed at the same factories that major labels use, because all the smaller duplicators simply contract that part of their business out.

This is a fact. It is certainly true for all the ones I researched.

>All I can say is, "There's one born every minute."

And musicians who stoop to personal insults over disagreements generally have the most serious ego issues of all.

And musicians who stoop to personal insults over disagreements generally have the most serious ego issues of all.
I apologize for that. I didn't mean for that to come off the way it did. Sometimes when you feel really strongly about something, you can say some pretty rude things. Sorry.

"I apologize for that".

Hey Cominginsecond, I respect your ability to humble
yourself when you may offend someone. I must say that is
character that is rarely seen, but most appreciated.

Even though I have been a bit Oasis / Discmakers headstrong,
I have been listening to every word commending these other
duplicators. In fact you will be proud of me - I put in for a quote
from CDman! I want to see all this good stuff you guys are
talking about.

What do you think of real time duplication, rather than the multi
speed duplication. Do you think there is a quality difference?

Chuck :)

Higly recommended CD Duplication Site

For CD & DVD Duplication / replication

I strongly recommend diskfaktory.com

I had great experience with this site, plus they have reasonable prices and amazing deals.

Check out
Diskfaktory.com
Diskfaktoryjams.com

For CD & DVD Duplication / replication

I strongly recommend diskfaktory.com

I had great experience with this site, plus they have reasonable prices and amazing deals.

Check out
Diskfaktory.com
Diskfaktoryjams.com

No no no ============

Back