CD Baby - thoughts?

I really don't care - I wanted some advice and thoughts about CDB, and how it worked for others who've used it and what their personal experiences with it were. I didn't want to get into the details, or I would've mentioned them from the beginning.

What I'm still trying to figure out is the best audio format for each site, or if Amazon, YT, iTunes are all best utilized with different file types. There's a lot of work going into it, so it'd be unfortunate if I weren't optimizing the sound on each site.

Seems the industry is wide open as far as standards go, huh? Logically, it would be easiest to agree on a certain industry-wide standard file type for submission with each host converting it for optimization on their platform.

It's like the old Beta/VHS crap from the 80's.

Last edited:
Seems the industry is wide open as far as standards go, huh? Logically, it would be easiest to agree on a certain industry-wide standard file type for submission with each host would converting it for optimization on their platform.

It's like the old Beta/VHS crap from the 80's.

Yeah, looks like it. Hopefully that makes the process easier, not more difficut

I would lean toward mastering things to sound good and letting the streaming service do whatever they have to do. Most of my rock masters end up around -16dBLUFS or RMS when I work that way (though with the right limiter I can push it harder). That's about the same as iTunes with "Sound Check" enabled. Other sites go to about -14dBLUFS (or something fairly close to that using proprietary loudness measurements), so my stuff might get limited down another couple of dB. In any case, that beats what happens on a commercial FM station where things get crushed to death.

I would produce masters at a variety of bit/sample settings and use whatever was the highest type accepted by a given service. Or I'd just do the CDB thing and let them send it to everybody.

What I'm still trying to figure out is the best audio format for each site, or if Amazon, YT, iTunes are all best utilized with different file types. There's a lot of work going into it, so it'd be unfortunate if I weren't optimizing the sound on each site.

Like BSG said....I would focus on getting your best mix on the monitors you trust, and then just make sure your loudness numbers fall into the acceptable range for streaming. You can certainly go louder, and they will still take your submissions, but then their various algorithms will crush things down to their allowed loudness range. So if your mixes are already in that range, they will basically be untouched by the streaming service. If too low, no problem, they will boost...but too loud, and they will nock the levels down, so if you're stuff is pretty compressed, it will get mashed again.
If you were going to churn on physical CDs...then you can kinda do what you want with levels, and make them really louder, especially if you're going to do your own CD distro...but if you were then going to use the CD audio for file generation to give to streaming services, etc, then you're still faced with it being too loud off the CD for them, and again it will be reduced.

Actual on-air radio play has it's own crush method to keep things in acceptable broadcast levels...same thing with TV...etc...but IMO, if you stick to the acceptable streaming services levels...then your stuff should translate vey well to other distribution/broadcast services and formats. I know some people scoff at this, and say they want their stuff LOUD...but the reality is that too loud is going to get crushed by just about every streaming/broadcast provider...so for people who care about the sound quality, erring on the side of less loud actually works more in their favor than going on the too loud side.

If you're thinking about mixing things a little differently for this service and that service, and radio and this and that...I honestly wouldn't waste my time.
Just get the best mix you can on the system you know and trust...and live with the differences that will occur between streaming/broadcast services...just like you have to live with the fact that there are various playback systems that people will use, and different quality playback hardware...so that's nothing you can control, and you will go nuts trying to create multiple mixes to cover any/all playback possibilities.
The reality is that any non-lossless format will degrade your audio quality to some degree...so when you're hearing your mix in 24 or 32 bit splendor on your DAW and studio monitors, it just won't sound quite the same as a low-grade MP3...but that just is what it is. I wouldn't get hung up on that.

If you really want to know how all those differences might sound...take your mixes and churn out a few levels of MP3 files...burn a CD...go out to your car and to someone other playback systems, shuffle through the various audio files, and see how things measure up for you. I think if you have it pretty darn good in the studio, the rest will translate well enough on other systems and formats.

The ME will take care of that, but it's up to me to pick which types of files I would like. Though, he's aware of what most places require, but I'll be the one to actually upload this file here and that one there. I'll figure it out. :thumbs up:

Files that are too loud just get attenuated. As long as they're not too far off the given streaming service's standard you just have a little less dynamics than a file that's dead on. But at least you know it won't change.

Files that are too quiet and have peaks near 0dBFS will likely get limited down and gained up. That might alter the sound a bit. It probably won't be bad unless you're way out of the norm.

Files that are too loud just get attenuated. As long as they're not too far off the given streaming service's standard you just have a little less dynamics than a file that's dead on. But at least you know it won't change.

Files that are too quiet and have peaks near 0dBFS will likely get limited down and gained up. That might alter the sound a bit. It probably won't be bad unless you're way out of the norm.

I'm going to send over to the ME wav's around -18 RMS.

Just a mention here.... CDBaby is fine and if that is what you're using I probably wouldn't change but...from what I have deduced Distrokid is an easier and less expensive way to do the exact same thing and zero royalties to distro.

I just gave them $20 for a year of unlimited uploads and just for shits n giggles I posted a couple mediocre originals I recorded...EZ PZ in minutes I was done and they are for sale all over the world...I'm going to be rich! or not so much :rolleyes:

JUST REMEMBER, YOU ARE MOST UNLIKELY TO BE ABLE TO RETIRE BY DIGITALLY DISTRIBUTING YOUR MUSIC !!!!!!!

Well actually most artist ( and most of us here at HR.com) are not going to be able to retire by making music period...no matter where we distribute it :laughings:

That said if you are 13 to 18 years old, good looking and and have several million twitter, instagram or facebook followers you could do pretty well with digital distribution like these two LUCKY BASTARDS

Last edited:
Well actually most artist ( and most of us here at HR.com) are not going to be able to retire by making music period...no matter where we distribute it :laughings:

That said if you are 13 to 18 years old, good looking and and have several million twitter, instagram or facebook followers you could do pretty well with digital distribution like these two LUCKY BASTARDS

"Jack & Jack have a combined 14 million social media followers "
If you can establish that kind of fan base...yeah, should be able to sell albums online direct without a major label.

"Jack & Jack will receive 100% of their royalties after iTunes takes their cut of 30%".
Love the math...so that's actaully 70%. When they say 100% *after they take their cut*...then it's not really 100%. :D

That aside....Distrokid looks interesting. I always thought CD Baby was a rip-off.

I did this a couple of years back to learn the process - sold 9 albums world-wide. I still get amounts I can transfer to paypal, so I'm getting a kick out of the deal.

One thing I remember about CDb was that I had trouble with the 44.1 stereo 16 bit wav files that I bounced in Sonar = the CDb system said they were the wrong format. Being stubborn, I didn't use support, but finally figured it out. I had to make a CD with my album and rip the wav files off the CD. CDb accepted those files no problem.

Maybe I didn't really figure it out (I don't know why the first set of 16 bit files were unacceptable to CDb), but that was the workaround in case you or anyone has the same problem.

Timbo

Back