Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Car stereo for checking mixes

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    There are two things I will do that accommodate lesser systems, but I tend to do them by default because they are good practice anyway.

First, I mix with mono compatibility in mind. I think it just sounds better, even on a stereo system. And it definitely sounds better on a mono system like a phone speaker.

Second, I make sure LF is centered. Below 300Hz you can't hear much directional information anyway, and I figure I might as well be using all the woofers in whatever system is being used. Panned LF is uncomfortable in headphones/earbuds because it's an extremely rare situation in a real acoustic environment.

In addition to that, a generally balanced mix will work better on low quality systems. One common mistake is to think of bass instruments as only having bass content. The fundamental may be in the bass range, but the overtones are just as important. If you balance the fundamental and overtones, it will still be contributing to the sound on a system with limited LF extension.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    One common mistake is to think of bass instruments as only having bass content. The fundamental may be in the bass range, but the overtones are just as important. If you balance the fundamental and overtones, it will still be contributing to the sound on a system with limited LF extension.
    Absolute thumbs up to that. Seems almost like that tip should be obvious but...to be honest....for so long I adjusted bass EQ's without really understanding this. And....by keeping and sometimes even boosting the bass overtones....you'll usually hear the bass sound better on small...or mono...or crappy output systems.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I have no quibble with CHECKING a recording on a 'lesser' system.....
    I don't know why we are discussing this. I think we agree.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Absolute thumbs up to that. Seems almost like that tip should be obvious but...to be honest....for so long I adjusted bass EQ's without really understanding this. And....by keeping and sometimes even boosting the bass overtones....you'll usually hear the bass sound better on small...or mono...or crappy output systems.
    This is exactly one of the issues that could be fixed, without degrading the mix (on a reasonable monitoring system). Adding a bit of harmonic distortion to the burried bass, can often solve issues like this.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmonolab View Post
    I suspect because I grew up in an era when sound recording and presentation was very different from much of what is done today. Don't mind me, reactionary old fart (or seeker for truth?)

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmonolab View Post

I think we're discussing it because of the quality of what you're suggesting one tests one's mixes on. An iphone doesn't compare with a boombox or car stereo which are actively designed for music reproduction, even if they are inferior to basic studio monitors. An iphone, though many use it to play music on, isn't, really. Testing mixes on other systems isn't the issue, it's what system.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grimtraveller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jack White listens to mixes in his car . . . a Tesla with a kick-ass sound system. Most people don't have that luxury. White also records only to eight tracks on two-inch tape, or so I read. Another quirky luxury--or is it some kind of obsession? I never use the car stereo's system to check a mix, because my car system, the stock system in a Chevy Cruze, sounds like crap. The custom system in my old 2006 Dodge Caravan sounded really good, but the best way to check, I think, is how most people world-wide listen--on ear-buds. So, I use a set of Bose earbuds, around $110.00 retail, out of an Ipod Nano, an indestructable little beast. The bass is rolled off a bit, and the mid-highs are up, but they're my go-to way to check how all the civilians out there are going to hear what I'm doing. Still, that can't substitute for the monitors and room I have. Also, listen on 'phones in the studio. Never hurts to check a mix that way.

Thanks
    What TimOD says about most music listening done on "buds" of varying quality is invariably true. Just look around...right? I used to think that the "buds" generation would eventually migrate to better systems....sort of like we did. But...if by "better systems" we mean Echo speakers and Alexa devices and Bluetooth speakers....and the like....well...that's the current situation for most....not all...but certainly most.

Maybe someday a forum like ours will be saying......"why are you checking on those big old 8 inch monitors?......if it sounds right on those $1000 buds.....and the Alexa speaker...it's fine.....who uses speakers like that anymore." Just sayin'.....not predicting or advocating.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mick
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I suspect because I grew up in an era when sound recording and presentation was very different from much of what is done today. Don't mind me, reactionary old fart (or seeker for truth?)

Dave.
    Iíve been in the business since the middle of the 90ís, so I hear you. Times have changed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    I think we're discussing it because of the quality of what you're suggesting one tests one's mixes on. An iphone doesn't compare with a boombox or car stereo which are actively designed for music reproduction, even if they are inferior to basic studio monitors. An iphone, though many use it to play music on, isn't, really. Testing mixes on other systems isn't the issue, it's what system.
    But...if people donít use boom boxes anymore, there is no need. I am Well aware that I canít mix on an iPhone, but I still donít want it to sound bad when people listen to it the way they tend to. That is the reason I spend 4-5.000 USD on my monitors alone.
    I view them as the bygone NS10 speakers. They also sounded like crap, but they did reveal issues in mixes from time to time.

On another note (to another post), itís not the sound quality of the sound system in your car that justifies the system for reference. It is the fact, that some of us have spend hours and hours listening to Well knon music on those speakers in that space - hence we know how it is supposed to sound. The actual definition of reference.

Thread Information