Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Car stereo for checking mixes

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    I think these days that earbuds and all those small bluetooth speakers and soundbars are better, or at least higher priority, options for checking mixes, once you're happy with your studio monitors and cans, and maybe a decent "stereo" pair. (A bluetooth capable car stereo is a pretty cheap upgrade these days, and playing your SoundCloud file on that from your smartphone in the car is probably a more likely scenario than someone playing a CD, too.)
    I just checked out my newly purchased Bluetooth USB FM Transmitter in my car and it works great. Two recent mix renders on a USB stick sounded very good, however.. with it's volume at max the stereo had to be turned up quite a bit. Normal stereo listening level is at 10:00 and had to upped to 2:00 to compensate.

Then I paired my smartphone via bluetooth and that works nicely too. I didn't stream my Dropbox stuff yet, just the phone operation. This will save me a ton-o-money not buying CD-Rs now. And of course the stick is very rewritable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    I drove my car to and from work every day for years. The last car had a pretty good stereo system and I did use it for checking mixes from time to to time....not as a primary reference....but often as a second thought reference. Driving for hours with your car's stereo playing CDs certainly gives you a source that you're VERY familiar with. It was always fun to listen to my stuff in the car....and from time to time....I headed off a problem or two doing that.
    That's pretty much what I've been doing. I've got a bunch of CDs out there with studio recordings from several of my old bands that I've been listening to every time I drive. Some rough home studio recordings too. There was lots of editing in my head stuff going on there. Now I can retire those CDs and enjoy my flash drive.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Wow. I tried to listen to Dropbox (from Dropbox page) on my car's stereo via my phone through this bluetooth FM device and it worked.. sort of.. Connected ok, but volume was super low. The bluetooth FM transmitter was at full volume but Dropbox doesn't have a volume adjustment.. only a speaker icon to mute/un-mute. No idea what's up with that. Dropbox volume on my PC is low too, but nothing like the car problem.

Tomorrow I'll download the Dropbox file and play that back in my car.. see if that's any better.

Seems I read awhile back that linking to Dropbox takes you to a file's preview page which may offer poor audio quality, don't recall if volume was part of that problem. Downloading the file was supposed to deliver full quality on playback.

Thanks
    The problem with streamed audio is that we don't have a lot of control over what compression is being applied, and it can vary depending on the connection speed sensed by the server. Audio is usually not the problem that video presents, but they still are paying for bandwidth, and you're at the sender's mercy. It's better if you load the song into your phone's music player (iTunes or whatever) if you want to know the bitrate. Of course, there's also the Bluetooth audio protocol, which you don't control, but then, neither does anyone else, though your send and receive device capabilities probably come into that equation, as well.

You could use SoundCloud - you can probably play "private" tracks using their app. (Haven't tried lately but I seem to recall it's possible.)

And, you should probably pseudo master at least to get your mixes to a consistent loudness, like -17dB or -14dB LUFS. Something like that. Then the volume should be about the same as other stuff you hear.

But, this is how audio is played in cars, by and large. It's that or your USB stick. I'd certainly compare to get a feel for what's going on.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes. The mixes I put on my USB drive were done at a lower volume than a pseudo master would be, for sure.
    That's part of it. I'll bump them up next time around.

I did DL the Dropbox file that was playing back at super low volume and the DL played back at much higher volume - comparable to the other mixes already on the USB drive.

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PDP For This Useful Post:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I have lost track a bit of this thread but if OP is still going for a house bound Bose car system, mention was made of the power amplifier requirement? I would expect those speakers to be arounf 90dB/W/mtr in sensitivity so 30 watts should be adequate(~105dB per speaker) I doubt he will need the prodigious power claimed (but rarely acheived in practice) for many ICE systems.

Not least because the inside of cars is or can be noisy (not everyone can drive a Roller like me!) 80dB would I think be typical and ICE has to get over that.

Dave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PDP View Post
    This looks like an acceptable short term solution. I can begin with one speaker (a la Beatles), then add a second as my budget permits.

Thanks
    Looks like Behringer bought the Auratone name. (NB: Not to be confused with Avantone! Their powered version is $250!) That's the exact same speaker they were selling as the Behritone C5A a few years back. (see the back view of the "B" model here.)

I have a single C50A (all plastic case) version that I use for mono checks when my old, addled brain reminds me to do so.

These are more in the "grot box" category of speaker than a sub for sitting in a car, though.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

12. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    The things that are missing from trying to use a car stereo inside are [1] THE CAR and [2] WALLS of typical construction.

Put your car inside a room and it won't sound nearly the same... Cars have their own set of issues to be sure as far as accuracy and consistency are concerned - But one problem they don't share with a typical room is that there are no low end reflections to deal with.

Long story short (as so many audio-related stories go) -- Get your room under control. Then you won't need to use a car as a reference.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Massive Master For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Now you tell me..

car-jpg

Thread Information