Can a vocal mixing expert out there shed some light on this picture? :) (RHCP-Snow)

geraci89

Hey all, I came across this on youtube. It's a slice taken from Snow (Hey Oh) which includes Frusciante's vocals and some other parts.

My question to the experts out there is if you would be able to describe how they went about fattening up his vocals to sound so thick???

This can be pretty tough for me, especially when recording falsetto vocals like John uses a lot.

It doesn't sound like anything is doubled with a different take so I'm really curious as to what they're doing.

YouTube - John Frusciante Singing Snow

There are a few other tracks on the right side there if you're interested.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I don't know for sure, but that sounds doubled to me. Maybe chorus. Maybe doubled and chorus.

Yeah I didn't rule out doubling altogether. but i didn't notice any obvious differences that would make me think it was. This is my latest challenge with recording.

I don't know for sure, but that sounds doubled to me. Maybe chorus. Maybe doubled and chorus.

It sounded doubled to me as well - and while I don't know for sure, it seems like I was hearing the classic AMS 1580S vocal setting - 12ms delay with 1.007 harmonizer setting [could be off on the settings a bit, but it definitely sounded like there was some AMS involved along with the doubling -- I wasn't there, could be very wrong].

Peace.

Back