Can monitor (headphone) outs, FX, and Aux send be used identically?

Theeoddname

I'm wondering if I can use a AUX send and a Monitor (Headphone) out as the same thing?

Can an AUX Send be used as a headphone out? -- From what I've seen online this is the case.

Can a Headphone out be used as an AUX Send (with the 'return' being back through to another input channel)? -- This makes sense to me but I'm not seeing anything online for it.

Use case: I'm looking at mixers and want flexibility but desk space is limited. I'm okay with a 16 channel mixer but a 22 or more is probably too much for me to handle. I'm liking the Zoom L-12 but it doesn't have AUX sends. However it has 5 headphone outs which can have the own mix. Isn't this the same?

Also I'm considering the Soundcraft 12MTK but it has only 1 headphone out and two AUX and one FX. I'd like to be able to use these as headphone outs if I went this way.

I'd like to get a six-AUX or more board but pushing the $800 mark or above (1250$ for the requisite Allen & Heath) is going to be a one way ticket to the wife's detention center and a revocation of any rights to a comfortable living arrangement :)

Use Case:
I want to be able to control my EQ on a board and THEN send the signals into my macOS, through Loopback, and then into OBS for streaming. I'm wanting Loopback to ensure I can separate the mic's out and not have just one "audio device". I specifically DO NOT want to have to adjust my EQ via some digital software on my mac. So, I'm really REALLY wanting a post-fader option for a multitrack digital recorder -- which apparently seems to be a massively tall order (SMH).

Thoughts?

All inputs and outputs are running at specific impedances/voltages which are more or less standardized for the particular use-for instance an Aux out can be "mic" level, "line" level, "+10" or "+4" and is intended to be used to connect equipment at that signal level input. Headphone outs are designed to drive small speakers not to connect to other equipment. A headphone mixer can have a Mic and or line level input that it converts to headphone level through amplification but they are two different signal levels.

I don't want to come across wrong so please don't take offense, but I would strongly recommend you do a lot more research on how studio audio equipment works, especially the different signal level requirements. Maybe talk to someone who can walk you through your desired use, since IMHO any answer you get here is liable to be incomplete or assume something about your requirements and could send you in the wrong direction.

All inputs and outputs are running at specific impedances/voltages which are more or less standardized for the particular use-for instance an Aux out can be "mic" level, "line" level, "+10" or "+4" and is intended to be used to connect equipment at that signal level input. Headphone outs are designed to drive small speakers not to connect to other equipment. A headphone mixer can have a Mic and or line level input that it converts to headphone level through amplification but they are two different signal levels.

I don't want to come across wrong so please don't take offense, but I would strongly recommend you do a lot more research on how studio audio equipment works, especially the different signal level requirements. Maybe talk to someone who can walk you through your desired use, since IMHO any answer you get here is liable to be incomplete or assume something about your requirements and could send you in the wrong direction.

Thank you for the response. This is most helpful in my education journey here. I certain have a lot to learn -- but it's been enjoyable thus far.

What I got from your post is -- AUX and Monitor sends are different signal levels and thus cannot be treated the same without accounting for the differing levels. Looks like I'll have to dive into some wiring diagrams on some mixers to see what I can use these for.

Back