Can I use stereo outboard effects with a Yamaha MG12XU?

Gtracs

I would like to use my Aux sends for L&R outs to a stereo compressor, returning L&R. Hope that's doable....

That's basically the first way I tried to hook it up, although with this particular mixer Aux2 is also used for the internal effects, so I'm not sure how to tell it to bypass that and just send out via the Aux2 Send the same way Aux1 does. The resulting problem with this setup is I only get 1 channel returning sound.

I also tried using the Aux1 with a TRS that breaks out into 2 into the compressor, but still I only get 1 channel returning.

Any other ideas I can try? Anyone else familiar with this mixer? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Btw I'm using the USB input for stereo source.

Thanks for the response. After reading around I'm beginning to realize I'm unfortunately missing the L and R Mix Insert jacks I had on my previous mixer. I had my stereo compressor hooked up through those.

The mixer's TRS jack is for mono send and return. The 'breakout' cable breaks out into the input and output jacks of the external device, it's not stereo.

Put the comp on the mix outs in line to where ever it's feeding?

Now that you say it, that's essentially what the Mix Inserts were doing anyway--it's just that now my mixer is going directly into my computer via USB instead of thru an audio interface I had prior, so I may not find an "insert" point now. Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out.

I feel like I could still figure out a stereo insert configuration if I could get my Aux2 Send to work the way my Aux1 does. Nothing I try provides any kind of output from my Aux2--maybe something's wrong with it.

Edit: I think I just figured out the issue: My Aux1 Send has a prefader control; my Aux2 doesn't. So I think I'm screwed.

Last edited:
You do want the compressor signal path to be series -in line, not parallel like most aux paths.

> All mic ch in use unassigned to 'St main bus, but assigned to Groups 1&2.
> 1&2 outs to comp.
> Comp returns on an unused St ch >assigned to St bus (and never 1&2.

And in the words of young Dr "It's Fronkensteen"..
It - could - work!

You do want the compressor signal path to be series -in line, not parallel like most aux paths.

> All mic ch in use unassigned to 'St main bus, but assigned to Groups 1&2.
> 1&2 outs to comp.
> Comp returns on an unused St ch >assigned to St bus (and never 1&2.

And in the words of young Dr "It's Fronkensteen"..
It - could - work!

Yes, the Group Out structure did exactly what I needed. Gave me stereo compression throughout the mixer. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Back