can i make a soundboard recording sound like a room recording?

daveskey_69

hi there guys.....dunno if i am really posting in the right forum, but maybe someone can help. Our band played a really cool gig last night, and we recorded it onto minidisc direct from the mixing desk. So obviously it sounds very clinical. are there any ways or special plugins i can use that can maybe add some "space" or "air" to the recording. Make it sound like it was a room recording. Any ideas??.......thanx in advance!!!
Peace.....Dave

Similar question

I recorded Welch and Rawlings (an acoustic guitar duo) live in an auditorium with a minidisc.
I transferred it into N-tracks to do some editing and to burn to CDs. The signal level is good, and it sounds ok as is.

However,
is there anyway to reduce the amount of natural reverberations that came from the auditorium? Any other advice on how to doctor the sound and clean it up a little?

Regards

davesky,

If you have a VST adapter and a computer editor you can use SIR to put some of the room back into a close-mic'd recording. I've been able to do that on a few occasions successfully on entire mixes.

SIR has a high-pass filter that will let apply a 'room' to a particular freq range so you don't muddy things up too much. Come to think of it it is probably a band-pass filter so you could set it just for mid-freqs if you wanted.

Noisevault.com has all the tools you need (if you have a VST compatable editor) like a link to SIR and real cool impulses. There are new PCM91 impulses as well as real rooms - and a couple called 'air'.

Happy Convolving !
kylen

Dave,

> are there any ways or special plugins i can use that can maybe add some "space" or "air" to the recording. <

I do this all the time. Use a reverb plug-in, but use a Stage or Room setting, as opposed to a Hall or Plate preset.

--Ethan

Re: Similar question

woodshedder said:
However,
is there anyway to reduce the amount of natural reverberations that came from the auditorium? Any other advice on how to doctor the sound and clean it up a little?

I am by no means an expert here, but I'll offer my suggestions based only on one live recording I worked with.

I found that the high end was really really bright because the minidisc recorders are usually means for speech at lower volumes. Try a de-ess to see what you can do there.

Also, taking a cut in eq between 250-350 should take out some of the boxiness in the sound, if it's there. One mic live room recordings usually get a lot of muddy sound in this range.

Maybe use a Maxxbass plug-in if the mic didn't pick up the low end as well as you'd like it... and maybe a noise reduction if there's a lot of air in the sound?? Just make sure you don't take out too much.

You'll probably have no need for compression as those minidisc recorders usually have something built in. Adding more will probably just make the sound more muddy than it already is.

I know of no way to undo reverb, but maybe those frequency cuts (and de-ess) mentioned earlier will help a bit.

You could take your recording and play it through some nice, loud speakers in a large room . . . throw some mics up; preferably omni-directionals or wide cardiod. Put them up towards the back of the room -- maybe face them away from the speakers, and record the room.

Take your room track and mix it in with the original. Mess with the placement of the track, cheating it forward or back to give you some pre-delay time. Compress it if you want a longer decay, etc.

You could just use a reverb plug like Ethan suggests, but mic'ing up a real room will sound far more realistic (more work, though).

Back