Calling all Metal (death) Heads!!!

Bloodsoaked

Death Metal Freak
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3325

This is my second song and first mix of the second song. I would love any and all feedback. The ONLY thing I am concidering at this moment is bringing the snare drum up a bit in the mix. I have listened to it 100 times of so and I LOVE it. At this point there are no vocals. Here is what I have:

1 track of drum machine drums
2 guitar tracks panned 100% left
2 guitar tracks panned 100% right
1 bass track dead center

All recorded in my one bedroom apartment. Comments, questions, feedback, hate mail? Please leave them. I am interested in anything anyone has to say. Thank you for listening.

Peter

Last edited:
Every time someone says "listen to my death metal band!" it always ends up having a drum machine :( maybe Im too picky, being a drummer, but its always very disapointing. Find a drummer and I think this would be great. Sounds decent now. I'm just curious, what did you use to record?

Soundclick

Ditto on having to sign up dude. Been at this internet thing since it started. I'm sick of filling out forms.

Can I download it from somewhere else?

Can you use Yousendit.com and upload it to their server and just give us a link?

(It will expire in 7 days, but you don't need to register, just pick the file and hit send.)

I promise to scruitinize the clip. I'm a big metal fan.

Hey man, I like it. The guitar sounds killer.

Songwise it's really cool, but something is really distracting me during the blast beat parts. It's like the snare is half a beat off from the groove of the guitars. It works as it is, but it's wierd. Is sounds like a really fast alternating kick / snare beat right after the intro...is it? If it's alternating, maybe I'm hearing it like the snare should start the beat instead of the kick, or the kick & snare should hit together like a normal blast beat and that would eliminate that half beat pause before the snare hits. The "cannibal" style blast (double time kicks) at about 1 minute is super tight, it's just the other parts like right after the intro where I'm hearing that. I'm not trying to be nit picky, I'm just telling you straight as a death metal fan. It's awesome stuff, I'm just wierded out by that blast beat.

Does anybody else hear it that way?

I totally don't mean it as an insult to your playing or anything, we probably just hear things differently.

By the way, I signed up for soundclick a long time ago just so I could listen to people's stuff around here. A one time thing and then no more worries...doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me.

metalhead28 said:
Songwise it's really cool, but something is really distracting me during the blast beat parts. It's like the snare is half a beat off from the groove of the guitars.

i know what you mean.
i also think the bass sounds pretty bad, and the guitars are lacking something, i'm not quite sure what though.

Bloodsoaked said:
(I tried using lightingmp3 so the song could be at 320 kbps instead of 128 but it kept getting rejected for it not being an mp3, WTF?)

Doesn't it say right on the upload page "will only work with IE"??? :D :D :D :D :D

metalhead28 said:
Hey man, I like it. The guitar sounds killer.

Songwise it's really cool, but something is really distracting me during the blast beat parts. It's like the snare is half a beat off from the groove of the guitars. It works as it is, but it's wierd. Is sounds like a really fast alternating kick / snare beat right after the intro...is it? If it's alternating, maybe I'm hearing it like the snare should start the beat instead of the kick, or the kick & snare should hit together like a normal blast beat and that would eliminate that half beat pause before the snare hits. The "cannibal" style blast (double time kicks) at about 1 minute is super tight, it's just the other parts like right after the intro where I'm hearing that. I'm not trying to be nit picky, I'm just telling you straight as a death metal fan. It's awesome stuff, I'm just wierded out by that blast beat.

I totally don't mean it as an insult to your playing or anything, we probably just hear things differently.

By the way, I signed up for soundclick a long time ago just so I could listen to people's stuff around here. A one time thing and then no more worries...doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me.

You Mother &^%$#@ ...LOL Now I am listening for something that is messed up or strange that I thought was great, I will kill you...LOL

I am glad your being picky about the song, that is why I posted it. I want death metal fans opinion of the song and recording and non death metal fans opinions on the recording. The main riff that starts right after the inter 00:11 seconds into the song is alternet picking and it is a basic blast beat:

kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare....

To me it sounds fine, I am listening to it right now and I can not really hear anything strange.

Yeah, that fast (not that fast) down picking at the 1:00 minute mark sounds great I think. It took a few takes to get it just right. I think the whole song is tight. (I guess you dont...LOL)

What do you think of the other riffs? Glad you like the guitar sound as well. I really played around with it this time and I am very happy with the sound of the guitars.

I am hoping to have the vocals done this weekend. I need to start eating some glass and rocks to get reasy to sing!!!!

Peter

tylerxxx said:
i know what you mean.
i also think the bass sounds pretty bad, and the guitars are lacking something, i'm not quite sure what though.

Bad in what way about the bass? Bad recorded bass or bad played bass? What is the guitars laking?

All comments welcome and wanted.

Peter

Bloodsoaked said:
I guess I suck A$$. I did not even see it. I have updated the link at the begining of the thread so the mp3 can be downloaded. It is a 320 kpbs mp3 file as well. Sounds much better than the soundclick.

Here it is as well: http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3325

Download and let me know what you think...

Peter
Cool tune man....my only nit, is it's bright. Loads of highs. It could use more mids, and some lows. It's loud. No clipping, but loud.
Again, my only real nit, would be it's high-heavy.

Now, where's the vox man?????????? :D

ericlingus said:
what did you use to record your guitars with?

Equipment used:
Jackson DKGMT Kinky w/EMG
Marshall MG Series 250DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

2 Behringer XM8500 Microphones
1 Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer
Acoustica Mixcraft Recording Software
Acoustica Beatcraft Drum Machine Software

Let me know if you want any other info. Did you like the guitar sound?

Peter

Bloodsoaked said:
Bad in what way about the bass? Bad recorded bass or bad played bass? What is the guitars laking?

All comments welcome and wanted.

Peter

it could be because i paused DECAPITATED to listen to it, but the guitars didn't feel full. as the guy above me said, very high, not much mids or lows. when i think of death metal guitar tone, i think of brutal, in-your-fucking-face kind of tone. i thought the playing was nice, just the sound wasn't full.

the bass isn't PLAYED bad, i just don't like the tone of that either.

billmcdonald said:
Every time someone says "listen to my death metal band!" it always ends up having a drum machine :( maybe Im too picky, being a drummer, but its always very disapointing. Find a drummer and I think this would be great. Sounds decent now. I'm just curious, what did you use to record?

Well, I never mentioned anything about a "band"...LOL

I tried looking for death metal drummers in my area but came up empty, that is why I am using a drum machine and for the fact that I do not need to listen to any other "band" members bitch...LOL

This is what I used to record. let me know if you want more info.

Equipment used:
Jackson DKGMT Kinky w/EMG
Marshall MG Series 250DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
Boss GE-7 Equalizer Pedal
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

2 Behringer XM8500 Microphones
1 Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer
Acoustica Mixcraft Recording Software
Acoustica Beatcraft Drum Machine Software

Peter

tylerxxx said:
it could be because i paused DECAPITATED to listen to it, but the guitars didn't feel full. as the guy above me said, very high, not much mids or lows. when i think of death metal guitar tone, i think of brutal, in-your-fucking-face kind of tone. i thought the playing was nice, just the sound wasn't full.

the bass isn't PLAYED bad, i just don't like the tone of that either.

Well, complaring my apartment recording to Decapitated is CRAZY!!!!! I love Decapitated and would love to get their sound but in my apartment and using what I got I would be dreaming. What would you do to make it full? Bad bass as well. dam your tough...I like that...

Peter

ericlingus said:
how did you place the mic(s)? Did you use both at the same time? I like the guitar tone btw.

I did use my two mics, one was pointed directly at the speaker and off a bit to the left and the other one was at an angle pointed at the some speaker. It is hard to describe. I will see if I can take a picture of it. Very primitive as I do not even have mic stands...lol

Peter

Bloodsoaked said:
You Mother &^%$#@ ...LOL Now I am listening for something that is messed up or strange that I thought was great, I will kill you...LOL

I am glad your being picky about the song, that is why I posted it. I want death metal fans opinion of the song and recording and non death metal fans opinions on the recording. The main riff that starts right after the inter 00:11 seconds into the song is alternet picking and it is a basic blast beat:

kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare....

That's what I thought it was... The blast beat would sound alot better in my opinion if the kick and snare were hit at the same time. (in my opinion, that is the basic blast beat) As it is, the guitar riff flows with the kick, and the snare is a half beat behind it. It's not that you're timing is off on the guitar, it's just a different accent. The snare is distracting...if you tap your finger with the flow of the guitar riff, you expect the snare to be with it, but it's behind it.
If you don't want to do that style blast, I would suggest leading that riff off with the snare instead of the kick. However, with a blast beat, I don't think you want anything on the half beat like that snare is. It just throws off the groove.

Bloodsoaked said:
What do you think of the other riffs? Glad you like the guitar sound as well. I really played around with it this time and I am very happy with the sound of the guitars.

Peter

Otherwise I think the song kicks ass.

By the way...the double kick (cannibal) blast at the 1 minute mark sounds so much tighter because the snare leads off the riff along with the kick...like this:

snare----------snare----------snare
kick----kick----kick----kick----kick----kick

if you took out the double time kicks, it would be a standard blast beat in my opinion...

snare----------snare----------snare
kick------------kick-----------kick----

Back