burying an old project that failed

pcstudios

Last spring I recorded a dad and daughter acoustic/folk thing, with guitar and bass and vocals, plus me and a buddy added banjo and mandolin at the dad's request. We recorded at my home studio, using a KSM 32 for most everything into a Presonus hybrid mixer/interface. Anyway, this guy happens to be a close friend, and may have not been communicating everything to me like he could have. But my mixes weren't suiting him, and I seriously thought it was because of his own performance he was unhappy - because he mentioned that several times. But later I figured out he didn't like the sonic quality - my mixes sucked, and I would have liked to have known.

There's a million approaches to mixing, with different reverbs and spacial properties along with the different ways to EQ everything. Nothing I tried fit him, and we finally gave up. I've been working on my mixing since, reading up on it, listening, changing up the mixer plugins, mics and preamps and everything. I now have something that I think he'd like, but he told me it's buried. The songs sound 100% better, but it's too late.

So communication is so very important. I needed to let him know he's free to tell me exactly what he thinks about the mix. If it sucks, I want to know - and why. I'm pretty much a newbie, and he knew that coming into the project, and he told me he wasn't mad afterwards, he just knew he learned how not to do it next time. So my first really serious recording flopped. I learned some important communication skills, some major mixing tricks and changes, and I need to bury the project and go on.

They say Edison make 1000 attempts before he got a successful lightbulb. Look at the project as a learning experience. I would give him the files you have, and even make the offer to let him come and even be involved in the mixing should he ever decide to revisit the project.

Am I correct in assuming this is the song from the Banjo Hangout?

I would also recommend you watch HitsVille: The Making of Motown. Some of the things that Berry Gordy talks about is interesting, in terms of getting a song with the proper quality sound to be released.

I agree, communication is paramount to getting a happy "client" . I feel that the suggestion to bring reference mixes is invaluable , even with someone inexperienced. Maybe especially with amateurs. A simple " bring a list of songs that you like the sound of in the genre of yours so we can get a good map to where you want to end up." is all it takes sometimes.

Sounds like you're taking all the right things from the experience.
The only thing I'd add is consider saving mp3s of your finals (first ones and second ones), whether liked or not, and keep a backup of the raw wavs and/or sessions.

Someday he might want to revisit this; Someday you might want to.
Whether it's for listening and enjoyment, or as a personal challenge to remix some time down the road, it might be nice to have them.

They say Edison make 1000 attempts before he got a successful lightbulb. Look at the project as a learning experience. I would give him the files you have, and even make the offer to let him come and even be involved in the mixing should he ever decide to revisit the project.

Am I correct in assuming this is the song from the Banjo Hangout?

I would also recommend you watch HitsVille: The Making of Motown. Some of the things that Berry Gordy talks about is interesting, in terms of getting a song with the proper quality sound to be released.

Yeah, I'm the banjo hangout guy. I offered him the PT files but he didn't want them. I also told him I'd keep them on my hard drive forever so if he ever wanted to resurrect the project we could. I just hate to bombard him with anything more. I'll let him make the next move.

I agree, communication is paramount to getting a happy "client" . I feel that the suggestion to bring reference mixes is invaluable , even with someone inexperienced. Maybe especially with amateurs. A simple " bring a list of songs that you like the sound of in the genre of yours so we can get a good map to where you want to end up." is all it takes sometimes.

I have a form I send out as far as helping me prepare the mixer template, and I had an idea of what he was looking for sonically - he gave me a CD of his last project. Funny thing is now, the last mixes I worked on sound very very similar to his first CD, done by a pro. You can tell the pro used vintage mics and pre's, but it's awful close now. But I don't want to force more mp3s down his throat.

---------- Update ----------

Sounds like you're taking all the right things from the experience.
The only thing I'd add is consider saving mp3s of your finals (first ones and second ones), whether liked or not, and keep a backup of the raw wavs and/or sessions.

Someday he might want to revisit this; Someday you might want to.
Whether it's for listening and enjoyment, or as a personal challenge to remix some time down the road, it might be nice to have them.

I'm hoping he'll revisit this. I did save some mixes from September, and now in December. We'll see.

I would burn everything to a DVD if it will fit (I'm guessing it would fit). Put it in a safe place. If nothing else, his daughter may want it someday.

We recorded 9 songs all together. Recording 1 song would have been hard enough with my lousy skills. But with 9 songs, it introduced an organizational need. I don't have a console, I create new sessions for each song, and if I have multiple songs that I want to sound the same, I have to save presets and write notes on pans and send levels and reverb aux levels. With a console, if you want to change the EQ of the lead vocal, you can do that, and every time you run a song through that console mixer it will reflect that change. I've got to open each session and paste the preset for that EQ plugin for every time I have that lead vocal. It just takes more time, and room for error and confusion. I'm not complaining, because I kind of enjoy doing this stuff that way. But someday I'll get real and buy a mixer console from Avid.

Here's a comparison of before and after. He heard the "before". Since then I've worked on the mixes. He hasn't heard the "after" yet.

Last Dollar Blues - Sept 2019 mix - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

Last Dollar Blues - Dec 2019 mix - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

Iif I have multiple songs that I want to sound the same, I have to save presets and write notes on pans and send levels and reverb aux levels.

From time to time I have to record multiple songs that need to sound the same.

There are few ways I approach this.

The first is to sort out the assorted settings, plug ins and so on, then simply record the songs in the same project, one after the other (not necessarily in the one session . . . it can be over several sessions). Then render each separately.

The second is to sort the first song out, then create a project template using its settings for subsequent songs.

The third is to get one song sorted, then when it's done, delete the recorded material, save as a new project, then use for the next song.

Back