Building a Song from an Acapella

• Thread starter Deleted member 203901
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 203901

Hi there,

I was wondering whether someone could answer my question about building a song around an mp3 Acapella (vocal track). Just recently I found an acapella (in mp3 format) of a song that I had recorded a few years back. I would love to redo that song all over again with better instrumentation, mixing and mastering. My goal is to try to beat the previous version of the song in terms of quality (the older version is fine but I can still hear some issues there that hopefully I can improve on this time around) But since the acapella track is in mp3 format (and not wav), would that make a huge difference in the end result when in comes to the vocals? Since I'm fairly new to the art of mixing audio, I can hardly tell a difference between a mp3 and wav file of the same performance....I would love to hear your opinions and insights on this issue. Thanks!

"better instrumentation"? 'A capella' means vocals only, no instruments.

Just go ahead and do it. Unless its a low resolution MP3, you are unlikely to hear the difference in the final production.

I have used 320kbps MP3s when collaborating with others and I never felt that quality was an issue. Just go for it. If it doesn't sound good, redo the vocal tracks.

I just realised a project from a few weeks ago was done in 320 mp3, instead of 48K 24 bit wavs and I simply didn't notice.

I also got confused with the notion of an a Capella with instruments?

Thanks for your replies. Sorry about the confusion, I meant to say that I found the vocals tracks of an old song and wanted to create a new version using that track!

Sure, it's entirely possible to build a new arrangement around an old vocal track. What matters more about the MP3 vocal track is what quality MP3 it is. If it sounds ok, then you should be fine. If it is just a low resolution MP3 you can still do it, but it may not sound all that great

If I want to try out new sounds or do what is essential practice or development, I download some of the isolated vocals from YouTube and record my own rest of song. You'd be surprised how some pretty ropey quality vocals are perfectly good when surrounded by good quality tracks. Some are pretty low if or in desperate need of eq, but sit fine. Lounge jazz Lionel Ritchie?

I found the vocals tracks of an old song and wanted to create a new version using that track
Is it out of the question to also re~record the vocal tracks, in other words to just start from scratch but using the MP3 as your initial guide ? Or is there a possibility of adding some vocal tracks to supplement the MP3 vocal tracks ? I must admit, there have been times when I've just had to record something from scratch again. I didn't want to but the tracks I was using were a turd that I just couldn't get the smell out of:spank:.

Last edited:
There are a number of occasions where I have salvaged some old tapes, kept the vocal but rebuilt the intrumentation.

What puzzles me is why you are asking the question. It's a simple enough thing to do and see whether it will work for you.

If I want to try out new sounds or do what is essential practice or development, I download some of the isolated vocals from YouTube and record my own rest of song. You'd be surprised how some pretty ropey quality vocals are perfectly good when surrounded by good quality tracks. Some are pretty low if or in desperate need of eq, but sit fine. Lounge jazz Lionel Ritchie?

Hi rob aylestone, that's a great idea indeed. Maybe I should try that sometime as well!

Is it out of the question to also re~record the vocal tracks, in other words to just start from scratch but using the MP3 as your initial guide ? Or is there a possibility of adding some vocal tracks to supplement the MP3 vocal tracks ? I must admit, there have been times when I've just had to record something from scratch again. I didn't want to but the tracks I was using were a turd that I just couldn't the smell out of:spank:.

Hi grimtraveller,

The vocal track I found (apart from the fact that it's an mp3) was recorded in a "proper" recording studio and so it sounds fine. If I tried to redo the vocals at home again, it's probably not going to sound as good. Thanks!

Here's the lounge jazz version of Lionel Richie - his vocals courtesy of YouTube with everything else recreated from scratch. Good practice for arranging and balancing. No actual purpose apart from experimenting.

Attachments

• easy-lounge jazz version.mp3
    8.6 MB · Views: 7
Gee Rob, there wasn't enough left in the piggy bank to hire the rest of the Commodores to do the backing vocals? Or was it really that 3am - after everyone has left and there's just you a Lionel hanging around eating a few chicken wings - late night jam session thing?

:thumbs up:

Back