breath

raven46

just curious to know do you keep the vocalists breaths in the recording or mute them out in an audio editor...

If a breath is distracting, I'll do something about it. Most of the time it's not necessary. After all, songs are sung by a singer, not by a machine with an air compressor instead of lungs.

Ultimately it's an artistic decision. If you have a singer who has very poor breath control, it may be necessary to be fairly agressive with the edits.

Don

I even sometimes push them up if it fits in the song!
Slower and emotional songs get imho a touch of life with breath.

But they won't probably not fit in any song!
So I just decide song by song.

:D Like, you know, "Julie London." Lots of breath and sensuality. Nice looking chick too.

If the breath factor is condusive to the lyrics/music, well, I wouldn't mess with it.

If it is "nose" breath, well, that might not work.

I have been amazed how LONG a single voice note can go in one breath by a trained singer. Lots longer than my longest squeeze on my old accordiane, or "Belly Baldwin."

Green Hornet :D

If I need to reduce breath noise, I don't usually cut it all the way out. I'll just significantly reduce the amplitude of the offending breath(s). If you totally silence a breath, it sometimes doesn't sound natural, unless that's the sound I'm looking for.

Back