Blink 182 Effect...

DABZ

Hey, there is an effect thats used on alot of the blink 182 songs.
here are some of there songs that its been used in (to show as an example) : "Always"... the pre chorus/chorus (toms part) of "Down".... "I miss you"..."All the small things"...

and i cant explain the effect, i'm just hoping you can hear it, its the vocals... you can mainly hear it on Tom's vocals.. it kind of sounds like they've overdubbed there vocals, but it sounds too perfect to be that...

so does anyone kno what like, reverb... delay, echo, chorus, flanger etc... they've used? i kno its hard to tell, but any guess is good... and i'll try them out.

thanks for reading.

I don't listen to Blink 182, but it's probably Autotune, especially if it sounds "too perfect."

you can buy songs off their website, so... "download" doesnt mean there's any illegal file sharing going on here buddy. stfu.

There's a bunch of stuff happening in different parts of that section.

1) It sounds like it's all doubled (but may be because of Autotune)
2) Autotune
3) There's harmony parts in sections - "Always, I Know, You'll be at my show" - as well as many others throughout the song
4) They have an eventide Harmonizer running as well

That's my interpretation, but it may, or mat not be right.

i use cool edit pro, do u kno what i could do in there to get a similar sound, because there is no Autotune on cool edit pro :(

DABZ said:
i use cool edit pro, do u kno what i could do in there to get a similar sound, because there is no Autotune on cool edit pro :(

What part? The section you said has several different sections with different things going on.

If you can find FordVan's post on faking the harmonizer, you can do that by hand. Double the parts up, then hard pan the harmony's (they don't sing every word though)

ok, thanks for your help dude! few things tho...

1. i was talking about the first verse, before the harmonies come in...
2. when you say double... do you mean manually double them, like... i record the verse... then i re-record the verse over the top? because thats what i meant by theres sounding too perfect to be doubled... like, i've tried doubling it, and it doesnt give off the same effect...

3. Panning, i have a problem with that... well, for some reason... i cant pan, and when i record in, it only records in through the left... so now i just click "Rec 1"... then a box comes up, and i choose "left channel" and then tick a box that says "same for all tracks"... so... that makes it come out of both L and R... but... when i try panning it doesnt do anything, because of that whole problem, know a solution?

4. what do u mean by "they dont sing every word though"...

thanks again.

DABZ said:
ok, thanks for your help dude! few things tho...

1. i was talking about the first verse, before the harmonies come in...
2. when you say double... do you mean manually double them, like... i record the verse... then i re-record the verse over the top? because thats what i meant by theres sounding too perfect to be doubled... like, i've tried doubling it, and it doesnt give off the same effect...

3. Panning, i have a problem with that... well, for some reason... i cant pan, and when i record in, it only records in through the left... so now i just click "Rec 1"... then a box comes up, and i choose "left channel" and then tick a box that says "same for all tracks"... so... that makes it come out of both L and R... but... when i try panning it doesnt do anything, because of that whole problem, know a solution?

4. what do u mean by "they dont sing every word though"...

thanks again.

You have to be able to sing the lines exactly the same for it to work. (or edit the crap out of the double)

The harmonies are not singing every word in the line. You can probably hear that though.......

Maybe someone else will chime in and be a bit better at telling what they are doing, but what I said should give you a good start.

yee thanks alot man! big help..

do u kno anything about the 3rd question i asked in my previous post?

lol dude... some guy comes into a thread i was asking for help for, i wasn't being arrogant, ignorant, rude, abusive... anything... i asked politely for some help, and some dude comes in being sarcastic... like, is there any point to it? ... i had reason to say stfu, im hear for help, not to be laughed at.

and your doing just the same as either him or me... because A. your replying back to the thread with no help at all and being sarcastic over something that wasn't anything to do with you, and you have to leave a pointless post, and B. me saying stfu is basically the same as you coming in here and calling me a cumdumpster.

its whatever dude, all i was asking for was help, not some guys to come in here and waste my time and your own time.

Pitch-corrected vocal harmony coupled with Tom Delonge's nasal vocal tone.

DABZ, you shouldn't tell anybody to STFU because they offended you, you should ignore it and keep yourself elevated above the offender.

Isn't Vocalign used sometimes to make a doubled part unrealistically tight like that? Maybe a combination of Autotune + Vocalign...

The closest you will get with just CoolEdit is just to double the vocal to the best of your ability, and perhaps to some manual cutting/pasting/stretching of sections to make it all fit together. I'm not sure if Cool Edit has an easy to use stretch feature, but I find it indispensable in Cubase when I need to match up phrase lengths of doubles and harmonies.

Back