Bizarre Mix Translation Dilemma

WinterWinter

Hello, I've been doing a lot of audio production lately and I noticed that Ive had a bit of an issue with translation.

I mix with AKG K240s -> a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -> HP Pavilion Dv7. While mixing, these mixes sound fine, maybe a bit of hiss but usually when I have this setup that means I know it's a problem with the recording itself. I tend to put these recordings on my phone, and they sound fine. I use an Iphone Bluetooth -> hi fi system, again, they sound pretty much fine.

The problem is when I put my AKG K240s directly into my laptop. It's not necessarily the mix that's the problem, the problem is that there is a lot more noticeable hiss on certain tracks. Now, a good portion of these tracks sound fine with headphones into laptop, but some of the more minimal cuts seem to have an almost unavoidable hiss to them in certain quiet parts. I've noticed that there is some hiss on professional recordings, specifically at the beginning of songs, but the quality of recording doesn't change in a way that's as drastic as with mine. I understand the issue with translation tends to be that mixes sound good on one setup but are problematic anywhere else, but it seems like I have the opposite issue, and it's incredibly confusing because of that. Even stranger, I don't seem to have this problem with the laptop speakers either.

My DAW as of now is Reaper, and my microphones are a shure SM57, and a shure SM58

Any questions would be happily answered, as solving this issue is a bit of a priority for me now.

" directly into my laptop" - so you are using the internal soundcard on the laptop, and what s/w to listen? Maybe there is automatic compression on - this would account for the louder hiss before a song starts (professional recording).

The noise could be in your recording, or it could be in the computer soundcard, or other noise being generated in the computer that's leaking into the audio stream.

And, when you say "professional recordings" are you playing directly off of a "retail" CD or is it something that's been ripped, and if the latter, what was the quality of that conversion, assuming it's now in a lossy format?

It would be really helpful to have an actual recording to listen to, or multiple ones, actually, with and without the issue, but I realize this site makes that problematic for new arrivals. If you put short clips into Dropbox, you can always paste all of the URL except the protocol+domain part, and say where it's at, e.g., Dropbox.

Note to mods: Honestly, I understand the motivation for that restriction's to some degree, but it's very counterproductive to getting new folks engaged, because a significant percentage come here with a problem, and without an audio clip, it generates a lot of responses that are mostly just guesses, quite frankly. The low s/n ratio has to be daunting to parse for some.

"'directly into my laptop' - so you are using the internal soundcard on the laptop, and what s/w to listen? Maybe there is automatic compression on - this would account for the louder hiss before a song starts (professional recording)."

I apologize but what do you mean by "s/w"? I unfortunately do not know every abbreviation.

"The noise could be in your recording, or it could be in the computer soundcard, or other noise being generated in the computer that's leaking into the audio stream.

And, when you say "professional recordings" are you playing directly off of a "retail" CD or is it something that's been ripped, and if the latter, what was the quality of that conversion, assuming it's now in a lossy format?

It would be really helpful to have an actual recording to listen to, or multiple ones, actually, with and without the issue, but I realize this site makes that problematic for new arrivals. If you put short clips into Dropbox, you can always paste all of the URL except the protocol+domain part, and say where it's at, e.g., Dropbox.

Note to mods: Honestly, I understand the motivation for that restriction's to some degree, but it's very counterproductive to getting new folks engaged, because a significant percentage come here with a problem, and without an audio clip, it generates a lot of responses that are mostly just guesses, quite frankly. The low s/n ratio has to be daunting to parse for some."

I'm listening to anything, songs I bought off itunes, old mp3s, spotify, etc.

I'm listening to anything, songs I bought off itunes, old mp3s, spotify, etc.
I would suggest not comparing your mixes to "anything" but get some hiqh quality, preferably lossless, copies of songs similar to what you're doing.

We really need to hear some of these clips. If by "minimal" you mean just a couple tracks, then it's always more likely background noise will get through if the environment isn't pristine, or the gain on the interface's preamps is set wrong. Full mixes can mask a lot of those kinds of noises.

I'd start by carefully listening to each track in those noisier mixes and see if you can identify whether the noise is in the track or not, and if it's in the track, is it being amplified through EQ/compression/limiting or any other FX you're applying (try toggling those while listening).

If it's in a particular track, what is the nominal and peak level of the raw track (WAV file)? Mic used, interface gain, if you recall?

The trick is to figure out where the noise is coming from. I'd start at the very beginning, and switch things on/off or around to figure out when/where/how it is showing up, and if something is making it worse. Then, you can start to figure out how to eliminate it.

P.S. "Reply With Quote" button is helpful!

s/w = software. What are you using to listen to the other music? Assuming you are using Windows, have you looked at your Windows audio settings?

I would suggest not comparing your mixes to "anything" but get some hiqh quality, preferably lossless, copies of songs similar to what you're doing.

We really need to hear some of these clips. If by "minimal" you mean just a couple tracks, then it's always more likely background noise will get through if the environment isn't pristine, or the gain on the interface's preamps is set wrong. Full mixes can mask a lot of those kinds of noises.

I'd start by carefully listening to each track in those noisier mixes and see if you can identify whether the noise is in the track or not, and if it's in the track, is it being amplified through EQ/compression/limiting or any other FX you're applying (try toggling those while listening).

If it's in a particular track, what is the nominal and peak level of the raw track (WAV file)? Mic used, interface gain, if you recall?

The trick is to figure out where the noise is coming from. I'd start at the very beginning, and switch things on/off or around to figure out when/where/how it is showing up, and if something is making it worse. Then, you can start to figure out how to eliminate it.

P.S. "Reply With Quote" button is helpful!

I think there's a good chance it's simply light hiss from improper gain levels that are being (fortunately) masked in more detailed cuts. One of the parts with a lot of hiss I redid where I turned the gain down from what I usually use and then played louder and the hiss was significantly reduced.

s/w = software. What are you using to listen to the other music? Assuming you are using Windows, have you looked at your Windows audio settings?

Oh haha sorry I should've known. But like I said above I'm using almost any way of listening to music on many different websites, using windows 7 on my computer. I will further check my audio settings because I do believe that while gain settings may be part of it, it's clearly also partly because of the computer, as I do hear drops in professional recordings (spotify, cd rips on itunes, downloads etc.).

Edit: You know what, I'm starting to think it's more my computer. I'm starting to hear some examples of what's happening with me in professional recordings.

Last edited:
Note to mods: Honestly, I understand the motivation for that restriction's to some degree, but it's very counterproductive to getting new folks engaged, because a significant percentage come here with a problem, and without an audio clip, it generates a lot of responses that are mostly just guesses, quite frankly. The low s/n ratio has to be daunting to parse for some.

I assume you're referring to the ability to add links and such....?

There's a good reason they require a minimum of 10 posts (which isn't really much, some here would argue for a higher number)...it's because we get one-post drive-bys from spammers who just want to drop their YouTube links or promo/sales links...and they never bother to come back.

Everyone here generally likes to help out new members...but we kinda like to see people who will hang around, and not just come here to post links or ask 1-2 questions, and then they disappear. So the 10-post minimum is there to get new members involved a bit, hopefully...though TBH, many who are intent on just spamming, will drop 10 quick, meaningless posts...then drop their spam...then they're gone. :D

If you have a legit link...write it out long with spaces, and one of us will repost for you to get the ball rolling, since you seem to be here for a legit reason. :)

There's a good reason they require a minimum of 10 posts (which isn't really much, some here would argue for a higher number)...it's because we get one-post drive-bys from spammers who just want to drop their YouTube links or promo/sales links...and they never bother to come back.

Everyone here generally likes to help out new members...but we kinda like to see people who will hang around, and not just come here to post links or ask 1-2 questions, and then they disappear. So the 10-post minimum is there to get new members involved a bit, hopefully...though TBH, many who are intent on just spamming, will drop 10 quick, meaningless posts...then drop their spam...then they're gone. :D

If you have a legit link...write it out long with spaces, and one of us will repost for you to get the ball rolling, since you seem to be here for a legit reason. :)

Thank you, I don't have an example to show of my own music as of now, but this: h t t p : / / s u n k i l m o o n . c o m / l i n d a b l a i r /

Displays, on my computer, the problem I'm having, more than any other professional recording. If you don't hear any hiss in the beginning/throughout, I guess that just means it's pretty much my laptop. I will try to provide my own links if this doesn't end up being any help. (Also this is a really weird song so be warned haha).

Haha I know it's the weirdest thing, but it's the best thing I could find, at least I'm pretty sure it isn't as much my recordings.

Thank you, Miro.

Can't play it because I don't have Adobe Flash on my OS X systems, so I'll take [MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION]'s word for it :). I'd guess it's the laptop's audio chip/ASIC, which mabye cost the manufacturer maybe a nickel (might be a generous guess, because it probably isn't even a line item in the BOM).

P.S. The comment about the link or MP3 attachment restrictions was mine (mixed in with another post and a sentence or two of actual OP reply). The pages of questions and guesses are certainly not encouraging for some. Just my observation/feeling.

h t t p s : / / c l y p . i t / e w e l 5 q h a

Here's a test clyp, when I use my focusrite, at 50% volume there is background noise. But on my laptop you would hear a very noticeable hiss that slightly fades in somewhat, which I made "cut out" (basically I rendered the track with an ending a little after the track stops) so it would be more noticeable. Is there a hiss like this on your computer? I'm still pretty sure that this is just my laptop but I just wanna make sure now that I have my own clyp.

h t t p s : / / c l y p . i t / e w e l 5 q h a

Here's a test clyp, when I use my focusrite, at 50% volume there is background noise. But on my laptop you would hear a very noticeable hiss that slightly fades in somewhat, which I made "cut out" (basically I rendered the track with an ending a little after the track stops) so it would be more noticeable. Is there a hiss like this on your computer? I'm still pretty sure that this is just my laptop but I just wanna make sure now that I have my own clyp.
It's really quite short but there seems to be some background noise - whether it's room or mic I can't tell, as the silent parts are too short, and I believe you faded out quickly at the end? A long, silent stretch, perhaps with the mic plugged in, and then unplugged, for comparison, might be more illuminating.

I believe you have enough posts now that you can attach an MP3 file, which will be better.

What sample rate and bit depth is the original recorded at? Any chance you can post the original WAV file for download?

It's really quite short but there seems to be some background noise - whether it's room or mic I can't tell, as the silent parts are too short, and I believe you faded out quickly at the end? A long, silent stretch, perhaps with the mic plugged in, and then unplugged, for comparison, might be more illuminating.

I believe you have enough posts now that you can attach an MP3 file, which will be better.

What sample rate and bit depth is the original recorded at? Any chance you can post the original WAV file for download?

44100, 24, if you only hear background noise that should just be the gain setting. On my laptop there is a very noticeable hiss that I made cut out at the end (I rendered a little bit after the track ended) so if you don’t hear it it should be the laptops problem then. I’ll still make another track

Last edited:
Back