Bizarre Mix Translation Dilemma

It's really quite short but there seems to be some background noise - whether it's room or mic I can't tell, as the silent parts are too short, and I believe you faded out quickly at the end? A long, silent stretch, perhaps with the mic plugged in, and then unplugged, for comparison, might be more illuminating.

I believe you have enough posts now that you can attach an MP3 file, which will be better.

What sample rate and bit depth is the original recorded at? Any chance you can post the original WAV file for download?

This is a bit embarrassing but how do you properly attach a file on here?

edit: never mind

Last edited:
Clyp1 - Clyp
Clyp 2 - Clyp

For the first link, I have a Shure SM57 plugged into the interface, at full gain sensitivity. I clap about 10 seconds in, with my back to the microphone and about 5 feet away, and then I take the microphone out of the interface, and I let it record another 10 seconds

For the second link, the same thing is happening but I adjusted the gain so there is no background noise (I turned the volume all the way up on my headphones, and adjusted the gain until there was very little background noise/hiss).

When listening to my headphones plugged into the interface, plugged into the laptop via USB 2.0, the first link has very noticable hiss, and the second link has extremely subtle but somewhat noticeable hiss (only noticeable with full volume though), but when I listen with my headphones plugged into the laptop directly, both links have very noticeable hiss (link 2 does however have noticeably less hiss as expected).

I hear what you describe as your interface-listening experience when listening through my laptop (2011 MacBook Pro). I'd say your laptop either has a really bad/cheap audio "chip" or it has a software that is doing some bad gain/compression, possibly both, I suppose, but, regardless, it's not in the recording.

I didn't switch over to monitors, just my little box computer speakers, but I couldn't hear any issues at regular volume.

Back