Big Bass/Oscillator Effect

frankthetank727

Hello, I have been trying to figure out how to do this trick, so if anyone can let me know how to do this please help. Listen to the links below, and you will hear that on certain downbeat hits there is a huge bass hit/hum that sounds like a 50 -60 Hz tone that kicks in with everything else. I am just wondering how this effect can be achieved because I love it. I am using Pro Tools LE 8 right now and have a bunch of plugins for it, so throw all kinds of suggestions out there

I can't post links because I am new here, so examples can be found on youtube; at 30 seconds into "Shock" by Fear Factory and 4:21 into the song "Shine" by Strapping Young Lad are the best examples I can find.

This similar effect is heard in hip hop I know too, but these examples are the type I am going for. If anyone has any idea how to do this that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

So are you talking about like a tuned bass hit that resonates and is bass boosted? Like some dirty south rap songs have this bass that has a long release time.

One way that you can do this is by getting a synth and setting it to mono(polyphony 1) and choosing a sine wave. Sine waves are the best for bass signal because the are pure and don't break up in the low frequencies. Then, set the sustain to about 1/4 and the decay to 1/4 so that it doesn't last forever when you hold out the note. Now set the release to about half way(to get the long bass hit). Then proceed to EQ the synth by greatly boosting the 60-80hz region(not too much or it will ruin your mix). Also a limiter could also help to get a longer resonance.

I have been making beats for rappers for a while now and this method has seemed to work.

Set up a signal generator on an aux track with a 70 Hz sine wave, send it to a bus, and record that to an audio track. Record about 4 seconds or so.

Now use vari-fi to stretch that out and turn it into a bass drop.

Place it where you need it in the song.

Play with the starting frequency and vari-fi stretch time and repeat the process. When you're happy with it, delete the aux track.

Back