Best Software Reverb ?

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
People...

Nearing the end of the CD project...& right now my two best verbs are an outboard hdwe. unit (a Lexicon MPX-500) & Real Verb Pro (part of my UAD-1 plug-in system.)

I would like at least the vocals on the CD to have as nice a reverb sound as possible...but I'm not sure what I have now will do that.

So...what are some of the best "in-the-box" reverb plug-ins out there (DirectX or otherwise...that will work w/ SONAR)...&; how is the new technology in this area (should I be looking at convolution, natural modeling, or just better algorithm types?)

Thanks,

mark4man

Check out SIR. It's freeware, has tonnes of impulses for download, and is awesome. Often times it beats out my TC Electronics M300 hardware unit I have. Only negative side is that, like any other good reverb, it is a CPU hog.

Chris
aka "axemanchris" from the "other place."

... you know... the guitarist... :p

I would seriously check out the SIR convolution host. I think its still free even. Then head over to the noisevault and try some different convolution samples. I have found some excellent Lexicon 960, 480 and PCM sounds, Eventide Eclipse and H3000, TC M6000, and some good EMT stuff. All free:)

Thanks everybody...

Notwithstanding the old adage: "you get what you pay for"...is the freeware convolultion stuff generally as good as the commercial (i.e., Waves IR 1, Voxengo Pristine Space, etc,)?

Also: following advice, I have downloaded RoomVerb, GlaceVerb & SIR; & will take them all out for a test drive.

Thanks again,

mark4man

With convolution reverbs, they may be a little different, but in general, the quality of the sample you load will make a much larger difference than which host you use.

OMFG...!!!

I have never heard anything like this in my life !!! So far, I've only managed to open .wav files (downloaded from echochamber) in SIR, but...holy s_ _t...this is the most superb quality verb I think I've ever experienced.

Thing is...algorithm types (the nicest of which I found was GlaceVerb, I must admit)...exacerbate a slight harmonic distortion anomaly I have with my strongest vocal passages...they take that grainy sound slightly above 4.5kHz; & scratch it up to an even greater extent. But this is not so with any of the convolution impulses I've heard so far. They seem to leave the source signal intact; & just reflect it outward, with nice space. I've only listened to my own vocal tracks soloed thus far...but it seems to me that this would be an important factor in achieving expanse & depth to a vocal line, while better preserving the "up front in the mix" characteristic of the dry signal at the same time.

I am really happy, now.

Thanks,

mark4man

BTW...1) Why can't I open .rar files in SIR. 2) Why does Pristine Spaces look for .fxp files only? (I've been playin' with this software gear as Vst in WaveLab....since I never got an adapter for SONAR.)

.rar files are a compresison format, like zip files. .fxp files are usually header files for specific appications. Not all convolutions may be portable between all hosts if they have been saved in a proprietary format.

reshp1 said:
Has anybody tried SIR with a VST wrapper. I'm using Protools (yeah, yeah I know...:D ) and would need to use the FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper.
I can't speak directly to the RTAS wrapper, but I have used SIR with the VST/DX DirectX wrapper in all Sonic Foundry apps as well as CoolEditPro/Adobe Audition with no issues.

I'd think that if it works OK in one wrapper, it should work OK in another as long as it's a decent quality wrapper.

G.

Cool, thanks, that's what I figured. I did a google on it and although no one can right out and said "yes, you can use the wrapper" but there's enough people talking about it to make me think it'll work.

Back