best cans for mixing

Personally, I'd stick with the HD240's as they're pretty neutral. Don't know the AKGs. That said, I have never had much luck mixing on headphones, unless the listeners also listen on headphones. Any mix that will end up on speakers is always weird.

The AKG's are very flat but lacking in some highs and lows. They're workable but you'll need a few other references. The HD280 Pros are a bit more neutral.......but they're best suited for tracking and not mixing. No headphone is ideal for mixing really. If you MUST go that route......you'll need to invest in something like a Sennheiser HD 600 or the like.....and even then.......you'll need to refer back to your near-fields often.

No headphone is ideal for mixing really.
I'm with that.
If you want something to check on, you can stay relatively inexpensive with Grado 125's (but I'd upgrade to the "G" series cushions). That'll change your perspective on headphones. Still won't make them ideal for mixing (because they're headphones, but it's hard to change that part), but far more "neutral" than most of what's out there.

I'm with that.
If you want something to check on, you can stay relatively inexpensive with Grado 125's (but I'd upgrade to the "G" series cushions). That'll change your perspective on headphones. Still won't make them ideal for mixing (because they're headphones, but it's hard to change that part), but far more "neutral" than most of what's out there.

Thank you Sir :>) I'm giving these a shot.

Need asvice on best cans for mixing, already own AKG K240M and Sennheiser HD240 pro

there is no best
just a choice of which good one you want to use

after spending very little money all the phones will be equivalent just different not better
and you spent enough on those that you have

I've used the AKG 240's quite a bit but now I'm using the Sennheiser HD650's. They fit better and I like their sonic qualities more than the AKG 240's. That said, all the mixes I've done using only the AKG's sound great on the HD650's. The reverse, not so much. On durability, the AKG ear pads typically age and crack. So if you go that direction, be prepared to replace the pads. Whichever headphone you choose to mix, make sure they they are open back. Not something closed like the Sony MDR7506.

As Massive Master said, it's generally better to mix on monitors. There are a million threads on this issue and I'm sure the basic arguments remain unchanged: your neighbors hate monitors but they provide better stereo imaging and a better sense of volume between competing tracks. On the other hand, headphones eliminate room influences which are THE most important factor in mixing decisions. In fact, if you room sucks, I would argue that you are better off using cans. In a well treated room and one that is verified by measurement, stick with monitors.

Of course, my take on this is somewhere in the middle. It's kind of a revisionist viewpoint. Both headphones and monitors should be used. Monitors for imaging, panning, volume, etc. and headphones for hearing cracks, plosives, editing errors, etc. I also use headphones for dialing in small reverb adjustments and other plugin changes that, for the life of me, I just can't hear on monitors.

Also, if you plan on sticking with headphones only, it's worth looking at Redline Monitor and Sonarworks. These are plugins that attempt to mimic the imaging qualities of monitors. The plugins are available on a trial basis, so it's easy to test without committing any cash. And if they actually help, they aren't terribly expensive.

They didn't really work for me, but who knows. You may be different.

For most pro headphones you can easily find their tested frequency response graph. You don't usually have to guess or assume. If you take the word of those who have been very successful in the field of mixing and mastering.......and there's not much reason not to.......then there seems to be a top 5 or 10 models that are consistently recommended.

I happen to prefer the Sennheiser HD600's. Their mid-range is SO perfect. I also use (don't laugh) a pair of Status Audio CB-1's. For some reason they really translate well.

I've used K240s and Sennheisers. Both are good. But I've recently found a pair of cheaper cans that are, for me, magic when working on a mix.

I was looking at spending hundreds - probably a pair of AKGs - but saw several online reviews that rated a USD55 pair of open back headphones worth considering as an option. They're Samson (yes, I know - laugh now) SR850s, and they sound clean and surprisingly flat.

Now I don't "mix on headphones", but I certainly use headphones as part of the mixing process. And these are excellent when investigating detail in a mix. I've compared them with K240s, and there's not much in it. The price really is a bonus, not my main reason for buying.

The above is Leigh's opinion. Aelyth has no comment, as Leigh won't let her use the Samsons.

Beck's 0.5 liter cans.

You can mix them with coke or lemonade, both tastes good if you keep it chilled.

If you want to use them to mix music, they are also great, but with a few setbacks.
Advantages: Very cheap (in the under-5-$-or-€-per-can-range). Make the sound SUBJECTIVELY far better and the mixing process more enjoyable.
Only disadvantage: Only usable once, then you have to buy new ones. And - make sure to give your client also enough of them, otherwise business might go down.

Sorry, couldn't resist... heh

A few years ago I read about Takstar headphones, (chinese but original not clones), in a Pro Audio site, as in high tech playback gear site. They got very good reviews some comparing them to phones costing upwards of £500.

I was sceptical but decided to check them out, I bought 2 pairs, one open back - HI2050, and one closed back - Pro 80. They each cost around £50 a pair and imho were worth every penny, especially the closed back Pro 80.

Unfortunately I think they discontinued these models and replaced them with updated versions which don't get so hot reviews, but if you're on a budget the brand is certainly worth checking out.

TBH I doubt I'll ever need to replace them as they do everything I need and sound great to my ears. They are also comfortable to wear for long periods.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD558's and I love them for mixing. That said though headphones are a very personal choice. But 3 rules of thumb will always apply.
1. Use studio headphones and not gaming or general headphones.
2. Use Open Back headphones for mixing - They generally sound better than closed back cans
3. Use Closed Back headphones for tracking - They might not sound quite as good as open back cans, but they provide much better isolation for tracking to help reduce headphone bleed getting into your mics.

Back