Beginner, lost because of the web [MIXING ISSUES]

Hello,

I finally managed to mix my music, but during the mastering I had a problem.

My music sounds the way I wanted it to, but I have a problem with an instrument I recorded myself. Some frequencies have a crackling noise. Maybe I made a mistake in the mix. It's fine when this instrument has a low volume, but as soon as it goes up there's crackling noise.

Thanks for helping me again.

I have found over the years that mastering often brings out detail, which it should, however in your case it’s the crackling noise.

Alan

There's lots of advise on the web, and often contradictory.

But the advantage of all that is that you can try it out and see if it works.

If it does, then you go away happy. If it doesn't, then you try out some other method.

However, if yo are relatively new to this, then it's good to start off simply.

* Leave the master output at 0.
* Pull all faders to zero.
* Then bring up percussive and bass sounds first, and get them to play nice together
* Bring up melody lines next (either vocals or lead instruments), and get them sitting nicely
* The bring up other instruments, pads and so on just enough so that they fill ther roles without swamping everything else.

Don't worry about overall level at this stage. orry about the sonic landscape and get that right.
Just make sure you are not getting into the red.

If there is a murkiness about the sound, then yo may have to do some remedial work with EQ, compression and so on.

If your compression isn't working because your sounds are quiet, you may need to adjust its threshold.

I agree, big time! You can try to find a track that has similar dynamics to your track so you can hear the difference and make adjustments! Filter high, mids, lows one by one and try to get similar sound. On the levels, I try to set my kick to -12 and depending on the vibe im after, i move the snares -15 from there, hats are -15 to -18. Also, try to clean up the very very highs and very very lows, inaudible ones. Enjoy!

Back